Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards

Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards (http://www.expeditionexchange.com/forums/index.php)
-   Trips / Events / Reports (http://www.expeditionexchange.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Olympic Peninsula, WA (http://www.expeditionexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1366)

Steve Rupp August 30th, 2010 12:20 PM

Olympic Peninsula, WA

Some pictures from last week in the Olympic mountains. It was my first trip in the Pacific Northwest and was pretty awesome when you could get a view. The forest is just so dense that it's hard to find a spot to chill out with a view and lunch. Makes me miss Southern Utah, but is definitely a cool place to be. Finding good primitive camping spots aren't very easy to find but there are plenty of them out there. You just need to find a spur off of the forest road and investigate. I did find a really nice spot right off the south fork of the Hoh River. It was late when I got in and full moon was out. I would have taken some pictures of the river at night but I couldn't see much without my headlamp that I forgot. I'm glad didn't because the rocks were super slippery and the water was moving pretty quick.

hochung August 30th, 2010 01:20 PM

nice! I just had a nice dose of fresh cool moist air.

johnlee August 30th, 2010 01:47 PM

Look at you, Steve.

Nice.

jmonsrvr August 30th, 2010 02:22 PM

ahh yes the hoh rainforest... i remember climbing mount olympus back in there. very nice photos. the olympic peninsula is pretty amazing. did you happen to make it back into the quinault rainforest? its pretty incredible back in there. The quinault lodge has the most amazing 'surf and turf' dinner with freshly caught wild salmon and locally raised beef with wild mushrooms from the quinault... just tasty. top it off with a nice petit syrah or pinot..

JSQ August 30th, 2010 02:40 PM

Sweet.

Steve Rupp August 30th, 2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmonsrvr
did you happen to make it back into the quinault rainforest? its pretty incredible back in there.

I didn't really get into the rainforest but did camp a few miles from the lake. I could barely see the lake through the trees from my campsite. There really is a lot to explore in the Olympics, I just got a bug up my ass to get out and camp a couple of nights.

montanablur August 31st, 2010 05:41 AM

limb risers

Steve Rupp August 31st, 2010 08:58 AM

You know, I just don't see that happening.

Mike_Rupp August 31st, 2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montanablur
limb risers

We live in one of the places in the country where limb risers might make sense, but I couldn't bring myself to put them on.

Steve Rupp August 31st, 2010 11:06 AM

I just have to post up this shot from my iphone. I think it's pretty cool.

stu454 August 31st, 2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp
We live in one of the places in the country where limb risers might make sense, but I couldn't bring myself to put them on.

It's sad that the poseurs have fucked up so many useful modifications.

I could use them as well but it's still a little too "Look at me!" for my taste.

blue August 31st, 2010 02:44 PM

Those first couple pictures blow my mind.....such a drastic difference from the desert. Nice pics.

Mike_Rupp August 31st, 2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue
Those first couple pictures blow my mind.....such a drastic difference from the desert. Nice pics.

Just cross the cascade mountains and it's a dust bowl:

P1020574

If I remember correctly, the rain forest gets over 80 inches of rain per year, and some parts of eastern Washington get about 7.

Muskyman September 1st, 2010 06:45 PM

wow...cant wait:D

Steve Rupp September 1st, 2010 10:09 PM

I've been practicing my cast Thom. Getting pretty decent actually.

pbtakacs September 2nd, 2010 05:52 AM

Great shots Steve thanks for sharing them. I love the area around Tom Creek but the Hoh River Valley in general is simply awe inspiring.

I would love to know more about your route if you don't mind sharing....

Muskyman September 2nd, 2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Rupp
I've been practicing my cast Thom. Getting pretty decent actually.

awesome...I cant wait to do some fishing and exploring out there.

greghirst September 2nd, 2010 11:38 PM

Great pics, Steve.
I like the vintage coffee grinder.

Steve Rupp September 3rd, 2010 10:02 AM

Peter, I started on the north side of the Hoh river and drove to the national park then turned right around and headed to the south side of the river. The first camp site I had was about 1 mile west of the confluence of the Hoh and the Hoh south fork. The next day I drove down past lake quinault and headed in the forest via FR2258. From there I just wandered around looking for spur roads making my way to back to Bremerton. I didn't really have anything planned, I just jumped in my truck and went.

Greg, I love that Zassenhaus grinder. My brother being the real coffee snob got one and I just had to have one too. That thing has a more consistent grind than just about any electric grinder I've seen. My Cuisinart electric grinder doesn't hold a candle to it. I actually get a better cup of coffee out on the trail than in my house. I would have had an even better cup if I had gone and got a pound from Stumptown instead of bringing a bag of Starbucks French roast. I don't know why I buy that stuff.

benlittle September 7th, 2010 08:16 AM

Awesome, Steve!!

We may be moving to Seattle ;)

Mike_Rupp September 7th, 2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benlittle
Awesome, Steve!!

We may be moving to Seattle ;)

Nice. If you do end up moving here, I think you'll like it. Seattle has a great blend of big city and outdoor activities.

Steve Rupp September 7th, 2010 02:52 PM

Sweet Ben! Did your time line move up or are you still on the couple year plan?

benlittle September 7th, 2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Rupp
Sweet Ben! Did your time line move up or are you still on the couple year plan?

I'm still a couple years out. The University of WA has a great dental school and I will be applying there. Whether or not I get in there is another matter ;) Word is though, Yakima is getting a dental school as well so that will go on my list too.

craig December 12th, 2010 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp

If I remember correctly, the rain forest gets over 80 inches of rain per year, and some parts of eastern Washington get about 7.

Hoh rainforest accumulates over 145 inches a year. That's a lot even for a Washington Native.