Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards

Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards (http://www.expeditionexchange.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussions (http://www.expeditionexchange.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Largest Odyssey battery for disco1? (http://www.expeditionexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1394)

JSQ May 5th, 2011 09:09 PM

Largest Odyssey battery for disco1?

Anyone know?
It doesn't look like a PC2150 is going to fit.

jrose609 May 6th, 2011 12:48 PM

Jack, I have the Diehard version of the 2150 in my D1. Had to do a little bending of the a/c lines, but it fit. It's pretty tight though.

Seems there was a thread on Dweb talking about this. Im pretty sure it was Chapman that had a picture if his setup, and I based my decision off that. I had the same concerns you did.

JSQ May 6th, 2011 12:53 PM

Damn, really?
That's great.
I'd like to run the same battery.

My old set-up had Optima yellow tops in each corner which was great for weight distribution, but I would now prefer an Odyssey and one big battery rather than two.

jrose609 May 6th, 2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSQ
Damn, really?
That's great.
I'd like to run the same battery.

My old set-up had Optima yellow tops in each corner which was great for weight distribution, but I would now prefer an Odyssey and one big battery rather than two.

I will try and get you a pic today. It is very tight though.

I do have the Tdi in my D1, but the battery tray and that corner didn't change. Still uses the same a/c lines as the v8.

traveltoad May 6th, 2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSQ
... but I would now prefer {snip} one big battery rather than two.

Out of curiosity, why the change in preference?

dchapman May 6th, 2011 02:46 PM

Wasn't me. I have the Die Hard PM-2, which is equivalent to the Odyssey PC-1500 not the PC-2150. The PM-2 is a Group 34 battery and the PM-1 is a Group 31 which is much larger.

With that said, I think it's possible to fit a Odyssey PC-2150 or Die Hard PM-1 in the 1998+ Discovery. But this would require getting creative with the A/C lines and the radiator support on the passenger side.

One other option is to get the ECU remote location kit, install a Defender washer bottle in place of the battery, and install your new battery where the washer bottle was with a custom bracket/box. Sounds ghetto to me, but it could work if you wanted that battery like a fat kid wants a candy bar.

I have found the PM-2 to be sufficient, though. If not, there is always the jump-box.

JSQ May 6th, 2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traveltoad
Out of curiosity, why the change in preference?

Well I've always run two batteries in parallel as I don't go in for isolators and one big battery tends to behave even better. It's hard to get two batteries to live in true harmony and the PC2150 is such a beast it's better than even two lesser batteries put together.
I've been really happy with it in the 110.

And like you know, I'm a believer in jump boxes.

traveltoad May 6th, 2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSQ
And like you know, I'm a believer in jump boxes.

I learned from you to always have one around.

jrose609 May 6th, 2011 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dchapman
Wasn't me. I have the Die Hard PM-2, which is equivalent to the Odyssey PC-1500 not the PC-2150. The PM-2 is a Group 34 battery and the PM-1 is a Group 31 which is much larger.

With that said, I think it's possible to fit a Odyssey PC-2150 or Die Hard PM-1 in the 1998+ Discovery. But this would require getting creative with the A/C lines and the radiator support on the passenger side.

One other option is to get the ECU remote location kit, install a Defender washer bottle in place of the battery, and install your new battery where the washer bottle was with a custom bracket/box. Sounds ghetto to me, but it could work if you wanted that battery like a fat kid wants a candy bar.

I have found the PM-2 to be sufficient, though. If not, there is always the jump-box.

I stand corrected. It was your picture I was thinking if, just the wrong battery. This was the pic you sent me.

The PM1 fits fine albeit a little tight. I dont know if the radiator supports are different with the three hundy vs the v8. Perhaps that is why mine fit easier.

jrose609 May 10th, 2011 08:07 AM

Shit, Jack. I'm sorry. I was busy getting ready for a trip to DC and I forgot about the battery compartment picture.

I get back on Saturday, and I will remember

scrover May 12th, 2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSQ
....but I would now prefer an Odyssey and one big battery rather than two.

Are you sure about that?

jrose609 May 15th, 2011 11:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are two photos. Please excuse the horrible Blackberry pics and the filthy engine bay.

JSQ May 17th, 2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrover
Are you sure about that?

Yeah.
Did you have me confused with Rick?

scrover May 18th, 2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSQ
Yeah.
Did you have me confused with Rick?

Oh yeah, I forgot you have that self-healing alternator. You should be fine with a single battery.

JSQ May 19th, 2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah, I forgot you have that self-healing alternator. You should be fine with a single battery.

I roll with a spare alternator in the disco and the 300Tdi will run for a week on battery, sucka.

scrover May 19th, 2011 09:14 PM

You're a tough sell. Catastrophic Odyssey failure? Jeeper steals your battery while you sleep? Both alternators fail? OK you can always borrow one of mine.

traveltoad May 19th, 2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

You're a tough sell. Catastrophic Odyssey failure? Jeeper steals your battery while you sleep? Both alternators fail? OK you can always borrow one of mine.

Or call me on the Sat phone.

scrover May 19th, 2011 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
;)

JSQ May 21st, 2011 11:34 AM

Again, I think you have me confused with Rick.

jrose609 May 22nd, 2011 10:21 AM

Jack, you decide on battery setup yet?

JSQ May 22nd, 2011 10:31 AM

I'm going to go with the PM-1 and make it fit.

nosivad_bor May 22nd, 2011 01:05 PM

Sounds like some butchery is in store.

greghirst May 22nd, 2011 01:11 PM

Post pics.

stu454 June 7th, 2013 10:50 AM

Jack, what came of the PM-1 installation in the D1?

JSQ June 7th, 2013 07:08 PM

I chickened out and got the PM-2.

Of course, it's not even in the truck. It's just sitting on a shelf with all the other parts for the disco.