Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards

Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards (http://www.expeditionexchange.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.expeditionexchange.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Omega Speedmaster (http://www.expeditionexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855)

hanchung August 30th, 2006 02:20 PM

Omega Speedmaster

i have a question for you omega connoisseur. i'm looking to replace the band on my wife's 3802.71.53 either replace it w/ steel or leather original omega band...

can someone point me in the right direction?

thanks

johnlee August 30th, 2006 02:58 PM

What Would Michelle Wie Do?

hanchung August 30th, 2006 03:02 PM

LOL... she would simply get a new speedy when the leather band wears out.

johnlee August 30th, 2006 03:07 PM

I haven't seen the bracelet for the girly Speedmaster so I don't know if it would look good or bad.

But I'm digging the pink croc. The skin of dead animals is always cool. The skin of exotic dead animals is even cooler. And croc is one of my favorites, if not my favorite. I think the pink croc would go well with the mother of pearl dial.

johnlee August 30th, 2006 04:03 PM

Oh, if you get the pink croc, get the rest of the outfit to go with it:

hanchung August 30th, 2006 04:37 PM

ok... it's official john! you are obsessed! you have the Wie bug.

i dig the croc but i don't know about the pink. might not go w/ the colored numbers. looks like the steel bracelet will fit if i can find the reduced model. the leather gets pretty banged up cuz debbie wears it all the time and at work... it's harsh on the leather.

besides... that pink croc looks better w/ the diamond bezel.

johnlee August 30th, 2006 04:45 PM

Yeah, the leather strap is a pain. I love leather straps (especially croc). They're very elegant and they're very comfortable.

But they don't last. They stink up and shred after a while and you really can't clean them up. That's why I prefer the steel bracelet. The worst that happens to most steel bracelets is that they might stretch out over time like the Rolex Jubilees. When they get covered with skin jizz or crab guts, just scrub them out with a soapy toothbrush and they're back to new.

The genuine Rolex/OMEGA/Breitling/etc. leather straps are also big bucks. They cost almost as much as a bracelet, and you have to replace the leather straps periodically. They end up costing more than the watch.

johnlee August 30th, 2006 04:49 PM

Here's a pdf of what the steel bracelet for that watch might look like:

http://www.omegawatches.com/index.ph...00&idsubcol=76

From the pic, I'm not feeling it. It might look bad ass in person though. I've never seen one so I don't know.

hanchung August 30th, 2006 05:14 PM

cool... been googlin to find a pic of the reduced girly w/ steel bracelet. man you are the google master... LOL.

i think the steel on steel will be fine. gotta see it i can find it somewhere. i guess i can find it at an omega dealer but maybe someone has an alternative legit online source.

thanks for the pic john.

johnlee August 30th, 2006 05:55 PM

Don't forget the plaid pants and ugly shoes.

Bruno August 30th, 2006 07:03 PM

I love the croc bands. They are so comfortable and elegant, very light and slender on the wrist. They don't pull the hair on my wrist or strangle me when i fly or walk for extended periods.

On some watches it's really the only way to go. I replace the croc band on a frequent basis on one of my watches because i can't stand it looking worn and unsightly.

It's a pain in the wallet for sure but i wouldn't consider any other than a factory replacement.

johnlee August 30th, 2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno
It's a pain in the wallet for sure but i wouldn't consider any other than a factory replacement.

Agreed. Those straps are ridiculously priced, but you gotta pay.

A nice watch with a non-factory band looks like a Range Rover with Cooper Discoverer tires -- with the white letters on the outside. It looks as if the owner ran out of money.

Robbie August 31st, 2006 10:21 AM

if you're not afraid of ebay, i picked up a NOS bezel and crystal and band from this guy: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZwatchadoo
i received a '71 Omega Speedmaster Pro Mark II from my father-in-law as a present and it was a bit of a mess. he has a lot more in stock than his auctions show and was really easy to deal with over email, even though he is in Australia.

matttaylor September 8th, 2006 11:00 AM

I need some advice. I'm considering getting my g/f a watch for Christmas. She's very skinny, and thus has a very small, delicate forearm/wrist.

What do you guys really think of this:

Let me state that I know jack shit about watches in general. Make it a woman's watch, and I know even less about what's attractive, what's gaudy, etc. This one looks a little flashy for my tastes, but I'm not a chick.

matttaylor September 8th, 2006 11:59 AM

I dig this one, but don't know if it would jive with her small wrist:

Maybe I should look someplace other than Omega?

hochung September 8th, 2006 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
my wife had a seamaster for a while... she liked it.

Attachment 1626

matttaylor September 8th, 2006 12:28 PM

I'm finding choosing a ladies' watch very difficult. There seems to be many more options and styles for women than there are for men.

Who knows what they like? Sheesh...

I guess I could just ask her, but that takes all the fun out of it.

nosivad_bor September 8th, 2006 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matttaylor
I need some advice. I'm considering getting my g/f a watch for Christmas. She's very skinny, and thus has a very small, delicate forearm/wrist.

What do you guys really think of this:

Let me state that I know jack shit about watches in general. Make it a woman's watch, and I know even less about what's attractive, what's gaudy, etc. This one looks a little flashy for my tastes, but I'm not a chick.

Are you sure she would even like a watch like that? Has she ever shown you a big watch like that in a magazine or looked at them in the stores with you? I don't know any women who like big watches.

matttaylor September 8th, 2006 12:45 PM

You bring up an interesting point, Rob. I guess I should try to get a better handle on what she would like.

Maybe I'll talk to her friends or something. I'm just tire-kicking right now, and I'm sort of overwhelmed by how many choices are out there.

johnlee September 8th, 2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

Maybe I should look someplace other than Omega?

That might not be a bad idea. If your girlfriend isn't "into watches", she might prefer a Rolex. If so, a Lady Datejust might be nice. If she's into the diamond thing, then there's a Lady Datejust I really like. I couldn't find a pic of it though. But check out this one:

I'm not a Jubilee kind of guy, but I very much dig the Jubilee bracelet on the lady watches. The Oyster bracelet on the lady models look lousy I think.

I don't like the jeweled bezel on that model above. I prefer the faceted bezel on the Datejusts. But a Datejust similar to that one with the mother of pearl dial and the diamonds on the numbers might be sweet. Here's a pic of the white mother of pearl dial:

The white is nice but I kinda dig the pink mother of pearl dial. Imagine a stainless Lady Datejust with Jubilee bracelet, faceted bezel, pink mother of pearl dial, and the diamond numbers. That would be nice.

You said your girlfriend has a really thin wrist. She could wear that watch really loose, like a bracelet instead of a watch. The case body on the Lady Datejust is small enough to blend in with the Jubilee.

An alternative is the man watch thing:

I really like the man watch thing on women, but some women don't like a watch that big. I'm not sure if your girlfriend would like the man watch thing.

But whatever you do, get the steel bracelet. If you get a leather strap, you'll be buying her high-dollar leather straps until Michelle Wie makes the Ryder Cup squad.

hochung September 8th, 2006 01:57 PM

john, i think you overlooked this detail:

Quote:

I'm considering getting my g/f a watch for Christmas.

a G/F!!!!

rolex perhaps for a wife to be... no, scratch that. maybe a wife of 10 years. even then it's pushing it. specially the diamond studded ones.

johnlee September 8th, 2006 02:05 PM

You know, I hadn't even thought about that. That diamond Lady Datejust might be too much for a girlfriend.

Get her a TAG?

matttaylor September 8th, 2006 02:15 PM

lol. Good point, Ho. Maybe a Tiger Woods special is in order. Then I could take the money I save get the Badger Coachworks top I've been itching for.

Nah, she's a keeper. It's just a matter of time, anyway. I should be saving up for proper ring, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I must be losing my mind...

johnlee September 8th, 2006 02:26 PM

If you're not going to insult her with a TAG and you're gonna go full boat on the watch, check out this one:

That one is stainless, has the Jubilee bracelet, faceted bezel, white mother of pearl dial, diamond numbers, and the bubble on the crystal.

I couldn't find a pic of this same watch with the pink mother of pearl dial.

This watch looks a lot nicer in person than in the pics. The watch is really small and the diamonds don't look gaudy at all. The pearl dial also camouflages the diamonds slightly. Portions of the case, bezel ,and center links are mirror polished while the rest of the watch has the brushed finish. It all comes together to form a very handsome look.

I would avoid an OMEGA in this size range. To my knowledge, all of the dinky lady OMEGA's have quartz movements. You have to go up to the unisex sizes if you want a mechanical movement in an OMEGA.

johnlee September 8th, 2006 02:28 PM

Oh, one more thing.

This pre-wedding Rolex might be a good move for you. Lots of Korean couples get matching Rolexes for their wedding, and I think it's a mistake. Because the watches are matching, the couple end up with unisex watches. Yuck.

I think it's much cooler if the couple scores two Rolexes, but the groom scores a Sub or GMT or whatever, and the bride scores a Datejust.