Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards

Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards (http://www.expeditionexchange.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussions (http://www.expeditionexchange.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Seeking Battery Charger Recommendations (http://www.expeditionexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860)

Huntsman September 12th, 2006 01:39 PM

Seeking Battery Charger Recommendations

All-

I need to purchase a new 12v battery charger and I am curious if any of you have recommendations? I plan to use the charger to maintain an Optima 750U Yellow Top Battery (attached to my Tentrax trailer) when itís not being used.

Iím thinking a 10 amp charger will work just fine for my needs (but have not ruled out multi-amp chargers). I really want a high-quality charger that I can plug in and know it will work. (Currently Iím using a ĎSpeed Chargeí charger, which more often than not, does not work at all.)

Thanks in advance,
Justin

hochung September 12th, 2006 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntsman
(Currently Iím using a ĎSpeed Chargeí charger, which more often than not, does not work at all.)

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Justin, have you looked at the Omega SPEEDmasters?

Huntsman September 12th, 2006 02:56 PM

Ha!

Why didn't I think of that?

The SPEEDmaster could probably do a better job at charging my optima than my current solution--and it does look better!

scrover September 12th, 2006 09:00 PM

I installed one of these in my Range Rover and it keeps all three of my Odyssey batteries fully charged between trips - I just have to remember that the truck is "plugged in" before I leave the driveway :cool:

I can recommend it:

http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=DEL-022-0157-1

Huntsman September 13th, 2006 10:46 AM

The Battery Tender looks great

Thanks Steve-

This looks like a great product. I love the permanent mount option too. And for $70 you can't beat the price.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

Justin

Keith Armstrong September 13th, 2006 01:11 PM

I'm just a cheep bastard, but I've got an old 1 amp motorcycle charger and a clock timer that I use to keep things "topped up" over the winter if they're not being driven.

Set it to charge for an hour a day or so and all is well.

I have talked to a number of scooter guys who like the battery tender too ... it just lacks that certain Rube Goldberg element for my taste(?) though :)

LoneXhere September 13th, 2006 08:59 PM

I have had a battery tender for many years and it has worked well. The motorcycle model, though.

One nice thing about the motorcycle model; it has a quick release plug and two hook-up options. One is a pair of standard battery clips and the other a piece that can attach full-time to the battery. On my F2 race bike, I mounted one of the battery tender attachments and left it on the bike and then simply connected the plug when it was parked. Simple and easy; might work well in your situation.

Even though it's for bikes, it does work for car batteries. The caveat? I discovered on my Audi that if the battery was hooked up, the car, alarm system, et al drew the power from the tender and didn't allow the battery to charge. I unhooked the battery and voila. It charged.

So long story short...battery tender works well, even the motorcycle one. For a trailer battery, it might prove a simple and easy option.

Hope this helps.

Huntsman September 21st, 2006 04:25 PM

The Deltran arrived today

Appreciate the great advice guys. I purchased the Deltran Waterproof 5A Power Tender Plus (found at the link above). It arrived today and really looks like a solid unit.

Itís just what I was looking for.

Justin

Huntsman September 14th, 2008 04:02 PM

The Deltran is still working perfectly!

Just a quick update, the Deltran is still working perfectly after more than two years of continuous use.

I'd recommend this charger to anyone. Could make a killer gift too.

Justin