View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:42 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

The laptop is definitely the most practical way to do it. There are many different navigation systems for the laptop, and the laptop can do a heck of a lot more than the AVIC can to boot.

I have thought long and hard about the laptop but I just can't bring myself to do it. The in-vehicle laptop would be a wonderful tool, but it just looks horrible to me. To my way of looking at things, the in-car laptop looks like something a traveling salesman uses when he's not using the local Starbucks as his virtual office. Or, the laptop looks a little wannabe to me, like those guys who stuff everything possible into and onto their trucks because they think it looks cool.

So your points about the laptop being the best choice are well taken. However, I just can't bring myself to do the laptop thing. It's just too dashsexy for me. The AVIC in the Defender would be dashsexy as well, but I think it would look far more integrated into the vehicle than a laptop would.

The AVIC costs a lot, but I would get the good-guy price on it. And the cost really isn't a big factor for me anyway. I'm far from rich, but I would be willing to pay the AVIC's high cost if the result warranted the cost.