View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:30 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

That headliner is a great idea, but for me it's just too truckified looking. It looks like those big rigs. It's very functional, but I'm not feeling it.

OK, just to complicate things further, I just found the Garmin 7200:

http://www.garmin.com/products/sp7200/

I don't know why I hadn't looked at Garmin's site before. This 7200 is really nice. It's got the touchscreen functions, full nav, MP3 player with SD card slot, audio/video jacks, etc.

Here are some more pics of the 7200:

The 7200 measures 7.5W x 4.5H x 2.2D. All functions are in the unit and there's no remotely mounted box or anything else.

The 7200 is gray in color and I wanted black, but it would be mounted on the rear window switch box, which is gray in color. So the gray isn't a deal-breaker for me.

The protrusion on the rear mates with the mounting cradle:

The 12v DC power goes to the cradle so that when the 7200 is removed the power remains connected, making removing the 7200 much easier.

I was thinking of mounting the 7200 Sheki-style:

The 7200 is considerably deeper front to back than the ShekiNav monitor, but I still think it would look decent.

The 7200 can transmit MP3 files and your existing stereo can pick them up, which is a very convenient way to integrate the 7200 into the existing stereo system.

When I find an LA-area Garmin dealer with the 7200 in stock, I'm going to play with it and see how it looks and works.