View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:10 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Yeah, Benchmade love everywhere.

On the high ready affecting your field shooting, remember that high ready is not a universal position. Rather, it's a preface to shooting. If you're strolling around, it's tiring to keep the weapon at high ready at all times. High ready isn't nearly as tiring as low ready, but it can be tiring if held for long periods.

When you anticipate releasing a shot, reflexively move the weapon to high ready or low ready or whatever ready. This should just happen, without thought. Keeping the weapon at port arms when you're anticipating a shot weird to me. This is true for any kind of shooting, whether combat, field, or clays.

Take a look at this shot:

That's you during the mount, the moment before your face touches the comb. Look at the angle of your back and how you're actually leaning backward. I think you're taking a lot more felt recoil and getting tossed around than you would be if you leaned forward during the shot like Jack:

I notice that you commonly stand erect at port arms, call for the target, and then move your left foot back during the mount. I think this is one of the worst things you can do for your shooting. You should either keep your feet stationary (with weight on weak foot/leg) or step your right foot forward. (Tom is left-handed.) Moving your strong-side foot backward is sort of like hitting a golf ball with your weight on the wrong foot, and it causes all sorts of errors.

The next time you shoot a crosser, note your balance after taking the shot. Were you off balance at the end of your swing? If your weight were on your weak-side foot/leg, you would swing much more freely and wouldn't be off balance. And because your swing was more free, you wouldn't have the tendency to fall off line and miss the target high or low (usually high).