View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:36 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Won and Han, you guys missed out. We had a good time yesterday.

It was just David and I:

David shot his new Beretta:

I shot my K-20:

Here I am on Station One:

Station One had a high trap shot going straight out and a falling right-to-left crosser that launched high off an adjacent hill and flew quickly.

It was baking hot yesterday. Here's a view of the parking lot from around Station Four or Five:

The place was nearly empty because of the heat.

Hot weather means sweaty hands. And the guns were baking hot from being shot and also from sitting in the broiling sun. The guns were almost too hot to touch. Such conditions mean rusty guns. You can see the rust starting to form on my K-20's barrels:

This is the type of rust that just wipes off with an oily rag. But you must wipe down your weapons when you are done shooting or the rust will be permanent. I even wiped down my K-20 again once I got home.

Pat Moore had set up one of his infamous 100-yard crossers:

I pulled a target to see what it looked like, but didn't even take a shot. Imagine a black dot flying across the sky 100 yards away and you get a feel for what this target looked like.

David does some imagery before he calls for the target:

You'll see a lot of golfers and shotgunners do the imagery thing before they go into action. It's a very powerful tool.

David makes ready and calls for the target:

And bang:

Rear view of David shooting:

Here I am on the same station:

David and Aaron are really good at getting pics of the clays in flight. No matter how hard I try, I can never seem to capture the clays in flight.

That's a high left-to-right crosser. You can see the amount of lead I'm applying. It looks like too much. No wonder I got skunked on that target.

Here I set up for the opposite target on the same station:

This was a looping right-to-left crosser and flew very close to the station. This shot shows how a right-handed person must shoot around the post:

I got skunked on this target as well.

David sets up for another target:

Here I am shooting on the same station (I think):

I was reminded of Overland Journal yesterday:

David prepares to open his Beretta:

David reloads:

Note the incorrect date on the Green Lantern. Rookie.

Then David sets up for another shot:

Note the ShekiPlugs. The left earplug is blue:

Here I am during a mount on the same station:

And a rear-view shot on the same station:

This station was trippy because both targets flew close to one another, but one was presented hollow side toward the shooter. Thus, one target was orange and the other was black. Of course devilish Pat set up the targets so that they would cross in mid flight, confusing the shooter even more.

A view of our trucks in the parking lot, taken from the top of Moore N Moore:

This spot also has a great view of Angeles Ranges' rifle range:

The targets at the very bottom are on the 50-yard line. The first berm is 100 yards. The next two berms are 200 yards and 300 yards, respectively. Angeles allows paper out to 200 yards on weekends and 300 yards on weekdays. Angeles also has fixed steel targets out to over 1000 yards.

David was stylin:

David patterned his Beretta on Moore N Moore's pattern plate:

Pat put up a new sign for the pattern plate:

David greases the plate after his first two shots:

Then shoots another pair:

David even joined Moore N Moore yesterday:

Afterward David and I hit a Starbucks in the Valley to cool off with some AC and those blended Frappucino drinks.

Then it was Asanebo time. Yesterday I tried Asanebo's broiled king crab leg for the first time. It was succulent. I was in heaven. Even the spicy king crab claw tempura that came after the leg, which is usually kick ass, seemed like a disappointment. And the crab claw tempura is one of my favorites.

Thank you, David, for a very relaxing day and a great time. Asanebo is on me the next time we hit it.