View Single Post
Old April 15th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Steve Cooper

Thou shalt not judge by YouTube alone. I was on that run. It wasn't "kindda funny" or "freightening". That's the second time someone flipped behind me and it's not fun, but the recovery was handled safely and efficiently under the circumstances. Will broke his hand in the roll over btw.

"Some details and variable are not addressed below, but this is a basic overview.

1. Safety of bystanders. All non-essential personnel out of the recovery zone.

Bystanders were cleared from the recovery zone. My kids watched from a great distance.

2. Safety of recovery personnel. Marshal clearly defined, all PPE in use. Chain of command and communication methods reviewed.

Will was in charge, despite a broken hand, it was his truck so he called the shots.

3. Control and containment of leaking vehicle fluids.

No leaks.

4. Assessment for known variables (sliding, final vehicle positioning, etc.)

Vehicle was quickly secured front, rear and side.

5. Safety and chalking/securing of recovering vehicles (if present) i.e., prevent further damage to other assets.

Ditto, no further damage to vehicle.

6. Control and securing of the stuck/rolled vehicle. i.e., winch rigging and chalking and lashing to ensure a predictable righting.

Ditto. Predicatable landing zone.

7. Audit of all rigging for WLL and sufficient rope length and spooling with adequate allowance for underage/overage.

Yeah, we tested the working load limit of the chain around the rock Done.

8. Stability/safety of recovered vehicle once righted.

Done.

9. Full safety inspection of recovered vehicle before moved, repaired or started. i.e. fire hazards, loose kit, battery acid, etc.

Done. Vehicle drove out.

10. Full clean-up of recovery site, including all glass and non-bio fluids. Post-assessment."

Done. Oil soaked air filter was bagged and trekked out. Broken glass was also bagged.

Everyone helped and did what they could. We were back on the road within an hour. I don't know what else to tell you. There was no drinking on this trail btw - back at the hotel, now that's a different story