View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2008, 05:19 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Yeah, those caster-correcting bushings are shit. Even the concentric poly bushings are shit. They will fail you. It's not if. It's when. Fortunately, the poly bushings are easier to swap out in the field than the factory bushings.

The TT definitely has disadvantages. But I like it because it's the least intrusive method of solve the caster problem. I get oversteer on slick roads. When driving on city streets, the speeds are slow enough that I don't even notice it. The time I notice the oversteer at all is on those long freeway interchanges. But I've been driving with the TT for so long that I really don't notice it. For me, it's just the way my truck drives. I once got really drunk at a friend's wedding and my brother had to drive me home in my D90. He said he could barely drive it. He kept thinking the truck was going to flip over. I thought the same thing when I first drove my Disco.

When you tested the front flex and how it was limited by the length of the shock, was the vehicle in the driveway with the opposite front wheel on the ground? I'm guessing yes. If the opposite front wheel is tucked hard and that corner's shock and spring are compressed (the way they would be in most cross-axled situations), then I think you'll reach the binding point on the front suspension before you reach the maximum length of the extended shock on the opposite front corner.