View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

So, a funny thing happened on the way to the Rally. I had no plans of attending the National Rally, but thought it would be fun to drive out with Ho and then go see some friends in Vail for the weekend. This was all very last minute and I was literally flying by the seat of my pants, so much so that I thought it would be a great time to pick up my motorcycle, (thanks Greg for the info on the rack). After picking up my bike in Prescott and jumping on a conference call I met Ho in Winslow, AZ.

Not what you want to see with a long way to go...

Within a mile of Colorado, we had a great view of the San Juans and they looked cloudy and cold. That is when I learned Tiffany and Emily had not been to Utah... Well, Colorado is great and all but the last trip they did was to Montrose and if you have been over one mountain pass you have been over them all with few exceptions. What a perfect chance to go hit a route that could connect some missing links for the Utah traverse. With the decision firmly made we headed back west to hit some uncharted terrain.

Hovenweep N.M. part of the monument is actually in Colorado.

Sleeping Ute Mountain is in Colorado.

On our way west I remembered about the Mormon Pioneers that traveled all the way from Escalante to Bluff, the original Utah Traverse. There was a story of how they found a route through Comb Ridge that was vaguely familiar. This set me off looking at the map for any possibilities.

The view towards Monument Valley.

The goat trail. XXL version here. Spot the pumpkin?

This landed us in what was to be my highlight of the trip. It had been an unusually wet summer and we were witness to several thunderstorms as we headed into the canyon. It was amazing to see the levels of the creek rise and fall with each thunder burst.

To say it was overgrown is an understatement.

As Ho was getting ready to cook, we realized we had no beer. Seemed like a great time to break out the bike and make a beer run. The sun had just dipped over the canyon wall and Ho gave me 2 hours to make the 60 miles round trip to make it back before he came looking. I made it back with 15 minutes to spare.

It was actually an amazing ride as it was my first at night. I am used to being focused on the bike, but this was another level. My concentration was locked on my patch of light, I don't think I have ever ridden so well.

We feasted on Korean BBQ. Maybe Ho has some pics, I was way too tired to even think about clicking the camera.

The morning was crisp and cool for July in the desert.

I even had an artfag moment in the stillness of the dawn...