View Single Post
Old October 15th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Rob Davison

Okay, I'll try anyway.

I needed to use some banked vacation and Utah was calling me. I headed out to get my Utah fix, this time by way of Colorado side roads rather than a mad dash to the Canyonlands. Knowing there would be Bill, Aaron, Jack and Sinuhe all in the area we tried to meet up when we could.

First stop was Cripple Creek Colorado and a great scenic mountain road.The fall colors were in peak and the weather perfect.

I then headed down toward Lake City to drive Engineer pass. I wanted to be on top for sunset.

Before I got five miles in I had a broken shock, as usual.

I pressed on after removing the shock and found myself at the summit, nearly 13,000ft, well after dark. I thought it would be fun to stay the night on top. After a windy night sleeping in the truck I awoke to a winter wonderland.

Not so fun driving drifted snow trails, downhill with three shocks and all alone.

After reaching the bottom safely I was glad that I had the opportunity to see Colorado in the fall with a little snow.

After driving through a sleet storm and a sand storm along the way I finally met Bill in Page, AZ so we could do some hiking.

While in Page we hiked Wire Pass, Buckskin Gulch.

Next day was Antelope canyon, tourist trap but worth it, if that makes sense.

Then off to meet Sinuhe and Aaron, North of Escalante for the night, they split in the morning and Bill and I stayed in the area to hike, see a canyon or two and sock in the sights.

Late that night I started my truck to get some warmth before bed. Three was a loud noise.

Seems my fan blew up. It took out the lower radiator hose, the shroud and the radiator as well as denting, dinging or cutting many other areas. I am so thankful this happened while parked.

Here it is rigged to get me back to town so I could get new parts.

Jack brought me a fan and I had the hose i needed in my spare kit, just needed a radiator. Jack called in a favor to Premier Rover in San Diego and they sent a used one air mail so I could get home. Since it was the weekend we went out for a drive and left the disco back in town. I didn't take many picts cause I was fairly bummed at the situation.

We drove in the one ten with the sides up and door tops off for hundreds of miles, quite the experience. I highly recommend seeing Utah like this at least once.

After Jack left I installed the radiator and headed home...

Bye bye Utah, see you next year