Thread: 9mm vs.45
View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2005, 09:42 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

LOVE the sig.

i have no criticisms of this pistol.
i always thought that the proximity of the decocker, slide release and mag release would be akward, but it is suprisingly natural.

plus i like external hammers. there are arguments against them but from a style perspective i dig them.
i think the sig has to be one of the best double-tap / follow-up pistols out there.

now in one sense it's not a true german sig and all that. not made by j.p. sauer and whatnot, but it's a great pistol nonetheless.

now as for 9 vs. 45 it's sort of a pointless debate, but I won't let that deter me.

9mm.

think of all the great 9mm pistols throughout history in comparison to .45s

many pistols originally chambered in other rounds were perfected by the switch to 9mm. and others designed specfically for the round have been excellent.

Luger
C96 Mauser
P38
Browning Hi-Power
Hk p7
Sig P210

oh and no one else does, but i still like the beretta 92. It's not reliable at all, but i dig the fixed bbl and i shoot it better than anything else. also, like the hi-power, capacity was a design priority not an afterthought and the gun holds lots of rounds. it isn't stuffed with them. they fit.

Other firearms, pistol and submachinegun alike could not be improved by a switch from 9mm to something else or were best left as they were or were never changed.

especially subs:
MP40
MP5
Uzi

Certainly the thompson was an effective weapon, but if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery why wasn't it widely copied like great 9mm designs? The reality is that it can be a heavy akward weapon for a sub and it's extremely difficulty to produce. A lot of these problems stem from the .45 chambering and open bolt design. War era thompsons cost $350 to produce in comparison to the $15 for a M3. Not that I like the M3, I hate it, but it does illustrate the price gap.

I suppose that since .45 ACP was developed for the 1911 style pistol and everyone loves it so much, the devout would contend that it was perfect from the get go and never needed changing but I dismiss this argument. Firearm design moves forward. It improves. It refines. Even the 1911 changed rapidly from the 1911 to 1911A1. There are arguably better .45s out there today e.g. Glock, USP, etc. But these are late comers. not only are they recent designs but they are adaptations of pistols first designed to be 9mm.

My first pistol was a 9mm. It's now 92 years old and still shoots well.