View Single Post
  #48  
Old November 20th, 2014, 07:17 PM
chris snell chris snell is offline
Christopher Snell
NW5W
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,383
The 110 is coming along. I've made a number of changes since I last posted photos in April.

The monster radiator is out. Like Jack said, the little motor just doesn't need it. Besides being overkill, the radiator frame was designed for a newer truck and my mounts didn't line up. I would have needed to adapt newer-style mounts to my old-style wings. It just wasn't worth the trouble. I picked up a stock radiator with the shitty plastic tanks and made some simple brackets to tie the bottom of the Allard intercooler to the stock radiator frame.



To keep an eye on my EGT, I installed a pyrometer probe into the EGR blanking plate. I used a skinny Auber Instruments probe instead of the larger VDO probe but I did my research and it turns out that all you need is a Type K pyrometer. Type K refers to a specific voltage/temperature curve; any probe of that type will work with the VDO gauge.



For the gauges, I went with the VDO 437-154 speedo and the Vision series pyro, coolant, and fuel gauges. After reading about Jack and others' problems with unreliable speedo readings, I did a little poking around and decided that the best way to get a reliable gauge was to use good wiring with a good ground. I installed a Hall effect sender on the LT230 and ran sleeved Ancor wire to the dash. For the power and ground, I built a unified harness out of more Ancor wire that tied in solidly with the factory harness.





Once I had everything wired up, I went out and measured a mile with the GPS and calibrated the gauge. For the first time in my Land Rover ownership history, I have a speedometer that is spot-on accurate at all speeds.



Unlike my old NAS truck, all of the gauges are uniform in style and backlighting.



After the cooling system was finalized, it was time to put the wings and bonnet on and get the truck on the road.

Reply With Quote