View Single Post
  #49  
Old November 20th, 2014, 10:02 PM
chris snell chris snell is online now
Christopher Snell
NW5W
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,384
After the truck was rolling, it was on to more minor tasks. In terms of time and headaches, 95% of the rebuild was finished in 50% of the time. The final 5% of the work took the other 50% of the time. Things that should take minutes took weeks. Weekends were consumed waiting on air shipments from the UK and trying to solve little problems that blocked many other tasks.

One such little project was the ignition tumbler. The keys I received with the truck were very worn-down and the ignition was quite difficult to turn. The problem is that the ignitions on the MOD trucks aren't the same as a ROW ignition. They don't have a steering column interlock and the ignition switch is a little different. After the first replacement was found to be incompatible, Brian Hall solved the puzzle and ordered me a new tumbler and key set.

I celebrated my new ignition by installing a key in the Snap-on handle like Han had on his truck. These were apparently made as a promotional item for Japanese customers but I got lucky and found one with an eBay saved search.



Once I had 500 miles on the truck, it was time to check the timing and adjust the valve clearance. We had a problem with bad metallurgy on one of the adjuster screws--it sheared as we were turning it--so we pulled the rocker arm to replace it. Imagine my surprise when we found this:



As you can see, some of the rocker arms were badly worn where they mated with the valve return guide caps. This was a Turner-remanufactured motor and this was a part that they surely pulled from a cratered head. I emailed them and they were a bit shitty with me for a while, trying to say that it was the result of incorrectly-set timing. We were super careful when we first set the timing, however, and I know that it was done correctly. We used a brand new Genuine belt and the improved flanged pulley that prevents belt slip-off. We also noted that the rocker assembly was not Genuine, for what it's worth. Turner eventually did the right thing and replaced the assembly with a good Genuine unit.

Another month goes by.

Finally get the front end tidied up. There was a manufacturing error in one of the front ears of the frame that prevented the bumper bolts from engaging with the captive plate on one side, so I had to build my own captive plate with slightly narrower spacing to make it work. Finally got the Mantec mounted with the Brownchurch. Got the Husky 10 mounted and the line spooled.



The original fuel sedimenter had a small air leak that caused fuel feed problems so I bought a nice glass/cast unit from Robert Davis on D90 Source. It's sweet. Unlike the original unit, you can look into this one and see when water/crap has collected.



Installed some Hella H4s and an ARB heavy duty harness. I replaced the stock Hella bulbs with 55W/100W. My headlights are now Hella bright. Also found some take-off headlight surrounds. I want to give these the clay glove treatment to see if I can make them look better.



Replaced the shitty Genuine black plastic expansion tank--the ones that always fail--with an Allisport aluminum tank. I would have preferred to stick with the original genuine metal tank from the 2.5NA but the hose diameters are incompatible.



When I look at my expansion tank and intercooler now, I think of this:


Fresh XZLs:



New eyebrows:



I wanted some 12V outlets in the cab for hooking up crap like phone chargers and the GPS. I found these neat little powdercoated cast aluminum enclosures from Mouser. I drilled them out and installed Blue Sea Systems marine power outlets. The box is powered by more Ancor wire that exits through a grommeted hole at the top and runs discretely under the lip of the tub bulkhead. I purposely used a slightly larger enclosure than necessary, in case I want to stuff another electrical gizmo in there, like the APRS transponder. I installed a smaller single-outlet box in the cargo area for the Engel.



I built a fridge platform that secures to the tub and stiffener trusses. Also made a cargo floor out of carpeted birch plywood. It's not ideal and I'll eventually redo this after a few trips, but it gets the basic job done.



Looking forward to many happy years with my rebuilt 110.

Reply With Quote