Thread: 9mm vs.45
View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:57 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Ooops, another bad. You can tell my interest in SIG-Sauers and Farsi isn't up there with my interest in late-WW2 German Death Machines.

I thought it might be interesting to post some pics of the high-tech manufacturing techniques that I like so much. Here's a pic of the G3's receiver production:

I don't know how long it would take to manufacture a G3 receiver, but it's got to very fast. I would think that most of the production time comes in aligning the various pieces and then welding them together. But who knows, perhaps that's done very quickly by machine as well.

Here's a receiver with the two halves welded together and the rear sight base welded on:

After this, the barrel trunion is spot-welded into the front of the receiver and the cocking tube is welded onto the front of the receiver and you're basically done I believe. Talk about efficiency.

The trigger housing starts like this:

and then ends up like this a few stamping and welding processes later:

Here's a pic of the barrel manufacturing usng the hammer forging technique:

Note that the chamber on G3's is also hammer forged.

Those pics are from the HK/Mauser Museum in Oberndorf. This place has lots of minty stuff like this:

The middle weapon is the StG45(M). The StG44 sits above the StG45. Below them both is a CETME. You can tell that the CETME was a combination of the STG45(M) and StG44. The basic exterior layout and controls were taken from the StG44 and the method of operation was taken from the StG45(M).

The StG45(M) was the progenitor to the Cold War Era HK family of weapons that is coming to an end in the near future. I believe the MP5 will be the last HK weapon to use roller-delayed blowback operation. After the MP5 is gone, there will probably be no more. And after the P7 is gone, that will be the end of gas-delayed blowback operation and the Volksturmgewehr's method of operation. Thereafter it will be conventional methods of operation like Browning Short Recoil, gas-operated rotating bolts, etc.

And now with modern CNC machining, machining is much faster and cheaper than it was in the post-Depression era. Combine that with the latest investment casting and polymer molding technology and I think the wide employment of the sophisticated stampings seen on these weapons will also end soon. So I think we are about to see the end of the once-revolutionary late-WW2 manufacturing techniques and weapons design in the coming decade or so.