Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old January 16th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Skyler Neibaur
KE7ZYL

Rear View Mirror

I have a 97 Disco SE7. The rear view mirror looks like crap with the monochromatic self-dimming film/fluid shot. I was wondering what, other then replacing it with the same style, has been used. I would like to keep it looking stock, I am interested in newer models. Would like map lights and/or digital compass. Just wondering about wiring and attachment compatibility of newer models like D2 or P38? I know Ho did something to his XD. How did you like that and what did you use?
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Check with Magna Donnelly. At one time they were replacing the mirrors under warranty. Later, they were rumored to have stopped the warranty replacements but I think it depends on who you speak with. Worth a shot anyway. If that route does not work, I don't know what to tell you. Salvage dealer, maybe...???
Old January 16th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

yep, I got a free replacement a while back when I had a 97 Disco.

Old January 17th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Chris Whybrew

MD quit doing this a few years ago. I had to buy my last one. The RR and D2 rearview mirrors mount differently.

Old January 24th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Skyler Neibaur
KE7ZYL

So if they don't warranty them anymore, how hard is it to install a D2 one with maplights. Is it a matter of cutting and splicing a pigtail, or adding new wiring. I've checked salvage yards and they are either sold or shot to crap for the D1. I know of a salvage yard that has a P38 I don't know if anyone has grabbed the mirror yet or not. Oh, and the P38 has the Atlantic British EAS override module if anybody is interested. Ho can you post some of the pics that use to be on the tech page of your XD.
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

I can't find any pics of the mirror. sorry.

this is all i got:

Old January 24th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

FWIW,
On my 1999 D1, they send me a mirror with map lights. It plugged right in to the current wiring harness. Now, I have no idea if this was a D2 style mirror or just an "upgraded" D1 mirror.

Sorry, no pics and I've sold that truck.

Have you attempted to call Magna? I think it's worth a shot, for nothing else just let them know you got a POS mirror from them. I mean, even on their web site it reads "Lifetime Warranty". So, what does it matter if they replace the mirror or if Land Rover does? Just push them a little.....

Let me look around. When I got my mirror, they first sent me the wrong one. The mount was wrong. They simply sent me another mirror and never wanted the first one back. I'm about 50% sure I still have that mirror in my collection of parts, but I have not seen it in quite some time. If you can just change the mount, you can have it. But I can't remember if even the wiring was the same..... I'll get back to you Saturday.
Old January 25th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Skyler Neibaur
KE7ZYL

I sent MD an email today. No success with their phone system. If no response in a few business days, then I will try a fax. Let you guys know. Thanks.
Old January 25th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Skyler Neibaur
KE7ZYL

They emailed me back today with this.

Skyler,
The warranty on the rear view mirror did expire at the same time the warranty on the vehicle expired. However, If you are interested, please feel free to contact "Sybesma Electronics" for assistance in obtaining a replacement rear view mirror. Sybesma will send you a form (via email) requesting additional information about your vehicle and any features your mirror may have been equipped with. This form will need to be completed and returned to Sybesma along with digital pictures of your mirror. Please attach clear photos of the mounting device to the windshield, as well as the plug, the front, and the rear views of the mirror. All this information is useful to ensure that the replacement mirror will fit and function. There is a reasonable cost for this service.

You may contact Sybesma via E-mail @:
orders@sybesmas.com

Thanks,

Steve Chenlo
Quality Assurance
Office: 616-786-7495
Fax: 616-786-7560
Magna Donnelly Corporation
3575 128th Ave. North
Holland, Mi 49424

Maybe I can get some new added features and all that I was looking for.