Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old January 21st, 2008, 01:09 PM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

DIGILUX 3

I know a few of you use DIGILUX 3 Leica body and the 4/3 lens system.

As I prepare for our expeditions this year and next, which will include Barranca del Cobre in March and six months in South and Central America in November, I am looking to fill a few camera requirements. For HDV, we are trying to swing a Red One with it's 35mm cinema sensor, but for digital still capture, these are our thoughts:

1. DSLR- 12mp EOS 5D, with my series of L glass. (will purchase in the next few weeks)
2. D-Lux 3- 10mp, back-up camera, or when we want to appear more discrete or like a "tourist" (already own and use)
3. DIGILUX 3- This would be Stephanie's camera for the trips.

The DIGILUX 3 has several traits that will make for a good camera for Stephanie, including a very film camera feel. She was educated in traditional photography, with dials, manual exposures and darkroom development. Using the features of the DIGILUX will be familiar to her. The DIGILUX is also relatively compact and light, and favors the "run and gun" style of people and environment photography Steph prefers.

So, this leads me to a few questions before I drop the 1.5k

1. Has the body and lens proven durable and trouble-free?
2. Have you fitted any other 4/3 spec. lenses, like the 25mm 1.4?
3. Overall image and color quality in RAW (I am aware of the cameras .jpg limitations).
4. Would you buy the camera again if given the choice? If not, what other model would you consider (like the Canon G9, etc.)?

Thanks for any insight
Old January 21st, 2008, 04:30 PM
Eric Siepmann

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...cadigilux3.asp

Gives a very good technical overview.

Still have a II that works wonderfully. Unfortunately not the best camera to toss into my camel bak though. But takes absolutely wonderful pictures though, even at its advanced age.

EDIT:
It's a IIIa not a two, with an Elmar mounted at present.
Old January 21st, 2008, 04:53 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

I am very happy with the Digilux 3. But I don't think it's as rugged as it could be. The lens is already gone back to Leica for repair. The zoom mechanism crapped out. I am using my brother's for now. Other than that, I really like the heft and size, the image quality, the manual settings, battery life, etc.

for lenses, check out http://www.four-thirds.org/en/products/lense.html

My brother has a Zuiko telephoto that takes nice photos. But lacks the aperture ring. You have to go into a menu to change aperture.
I've been tempted many times by Zuiko, but I am holding out for the real deal ELMARIT.

yes, i'd buy it all over again.

Old January 21st, 2008, 07:41 PM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

Good luck with the Red... I heard they are made out of unobtainium...

After seeing pics of the new Nikon D3 I have seriously been considering ditching all the Canon gear... If I go that route couple 5D's and lots of L series glass.

Which comes to the back up camera, I would just get another body for DSLR. Once you become proficient with a body it will only frustrate you to have to fall back on something else. So buy a body and a lens.

Look at the Canon G9 in place of the DLux 3... A lot more camera for a little less money. Less noise with higher ISO's and longer exposures.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:38 AM
Eric Siepmann

Why not the M8 is my question. All the M bayonet glass and the digi goodness of the Digilux. I mean Leica's M bodies are quite robust and usually travel well if your considerate to them. . .
Old January 22nd, 2008, 08:51 AM
Won Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanablur
Look at the Canon G9 in place of the DLux 3... A lot more camera for a little less money. Less noise with higher ISO's and longer exposures.

X 2.

Also, Ricoh GR II is a great option. No zoom but simple and very adjustable manual mode.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:22 AM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

Quote:
If I go that route couple 5D's and lots of L series glass.

We need to buy two for Overland Journal, but quickly... Are you ready to make that jump?

Quote:
Which comes to the back up camera, I would just get another body for DSLR. Once you become proficient with a body it will only frustrate you to have to fall back on something else. So buy a body and a lens.

I have gone that route for years with the 20D, and after having zero failures all that time, I can see the benefit of the back-up camera being a different type of tool, for example extremely portable and discrete, like the D-Lux 3. The images (in RAW) that come out of that thing is amazing, and it allows for a compact package. Of course, just my approach to it, but I am usually space constrained for gear, so always thinking smaller.

Quote:

I am starting to lean that way. It is so reasonable and a good performer too. I guess my attraction to the Leica brand is having more than a passing influence on this purchase
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionswest
We need to buy two for Overland Journal, but quickly... Are you ready to make that jump?

Not yet... That would be a major life change.

Quote:
I have gone that route for years with the 20D, and after having zero failures all that time, I can see the benefit of the back-up camera being a different type of tool, for example extremely portable and discrete, like the D-Lux 3. The images (in RAW) that come out of that thing is amazing, and it allows for a compact package. Of course, just my approach to it, but I am usually space constrained for gear, so always thinking smaller.

Makes sense.

Quote:
I am starting to lean that way. It is so reasonable and a good performer too. I guess my attraction to the Leica brand is having more than a passing influence on this purchase

Label whore