Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old January 19th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Nadir_E

Engel Usage

Hi All,
Used my Engel 45 for the first time this weekend on a short camping trip in Southern California.

My problem was that the Engel never really seemed to get all that cold. I suspect part of the problem was that there wasn't that much run-time since the drive down was only an hour and a half (it was at "1" per the instructions). When it was evident it wasn't getting all that cold, we set it to "5" - just next to freezing, and kept the engine idling for a while (can't recall how long - no more than 30 minutes).

There were subsequently a couple of grocery or sundry runs totaling no more than 30 minutes each. Even using the higher setting, it didn't seem to get any cooler than, say, a wine cellar.

So my question is, how to you get it to run colder? I was thinking that having it plugged into a wall socket and set to "5" for 24 hours prior to a trip may be worth trying. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
-Nadir
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Tom Deckowski

I've had my engel for about 3 years now. I set it to 1.5 and its nice and cold. Setting it to 2 will begin to freeze water and meats that are sitting against the metal plates. I leave mine running in the garage year round.

Is your 12V outlet always on or does it shut off when the truck is not running? That will degrade the performance.
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

I've found anything over "3" will freeze and wilt veggies. From room temp to "cold", and when the Engle stops running, it takes about 2 or 3 hours.

Does your unit have the lid lock? I had one and it kept the Engle from freezing. I took it off and all was well.
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Nadir_E

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
Does your unit have the lid lock? I had one and it kept the Engle from freezing. I took it off and all was well.

If you're referring to the latch locking the lid to the body, yes. I also have a transit bag for it.

Thanks!
-Nadir
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

It's like a 'fridge... get it cold... and keep it cold.
2016 SoulCraft Dirtbomb
2016 FoundryOverland

You only lost went running out o gas ,the rest is exploring Javier

Old January 19th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

I was referring to this

Last edited by hochung : April 3rd, 2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old January 20th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Nadir_E

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneXhere
I used to leave it on 1.5 with good results. 2 or higher and things started getting frozen and the beer slushy....

...It does need power all the time. I'd keep it in the back of my truck hooked up to an outlet that was hot all of the time. With the Optima Yellow top, I never did have any problems...

Thanks, Bobby - I was running it in a Honda Element, rather than my Defender and since that vehicle didn't have a deep cycle battery I was reluctant to risk their battery. Unfortunately there isn't an outlet near where I park my D90, but I can leave it indoors until I need it, much as you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
I was referring to this

Nope, don't recognize that. I'll have to ask John and Ho about it next time I'm at EE.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
It's like a 'fridge... get it cold... and keep it cold.

That was one of my thoughts - leave it plugged into a 110v outlet overnight (or longer) then transfer it to the vehicle, rather than starting in the vehicle at room temperature.

Thanks, Aaron

Last edited by hochung : April 3rd, 2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Nadir_E

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull addict
Is your 12V outlet always on or does it shut off when the truck is not running? That will degrade the performance.

Judging by the Engel's running lights, it's only active when the key is in the accessory position or engine-running. That was my reasoning behind thinking of getting it cold ahead of time so it's in "stay-cold" rather than "make-cold" mode once I left the house.

I plan to install a second battery with isolator so I can leave the Engel on after engine shut-down without concern for running my start-up battery dead. For now, though, I'm not keen on letting it drain the battery for long periods of time.

thanks,
-N
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Tom Deckowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir_E
Judging by the Engel's running lights, it's only active when the key is in the accessory position or engine-running. That was my reasoning behind thinking of getting it cold ahead of time so it's in "stay-cold" rather than "make-cold" mode once I left the house.

I plan to install a second battery with isolator so I can leave the Engel on after engine shut-down without concern for running my start-up battery dead. For now, though, I'm not keen on letting it drain the battery for long periods of time.

thanks,
-N

I've had the Engel running in my MB for 3 years at the 1.5 setting and it never killed my battery but I could understand your concern. This thing is really efficient and has surprised me (I do have the insulation bag for whatever that is worth).
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:05 PM
Justin B. Huntsman
N5JBH

I could run my 45 for about 30 hours or so off a single battery without any catastrophic battery drain. But I did get stranded a few times when I let it go longer.

The dual battery setup really helps bring piece of mind. Here's what I did: http://www.expeditionexchange.com/fo...56&postcount=7
2004 Tentrax Expedition Trailer

Old September 2nd, 2015, 12:33 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

The motor on my Engle has quit working. The green light comes on, but the motor does not run and obviously the unit does not cool. John would probably know better from his records, but I think I got my Engle in 2002. 13 years of pretty much constant use.

So, what are the options here? Can't say I've ever worked on an Engle. Can the motor be replaced? Any special tools required? Is there a common problem to investigate first?
Old September 2nd, 2015, 03:08 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I'm not sure what's going on there. Perhaps the compressor got old and crapped out?

I recommend calling Engel: http://www.engelcoolers.com/contact-us

Perhaps they have seen these symptoms before and will know the cause and cure?
Old September 8th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

I got a response from Engel almost right away. The email read that "Kevin" would be contacting me shortly. That was Wednesday last week. "Kevin" must be lost.

I'm sure it will all get worked out, but so far it has not been a speedy process.
Old September 8th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Speaking of...

Just talked to Kevin. He thinks it may be the power supply. He claimed they've been having problem with the power supply on the older units.

I asked if the green light is still coming on would that still indicate a power supply problem? Kevin seemed to think so claiming that the power supply just may not be providing enough power to run the motor. That seems strange to me.

The power supply from Engel runs $225.00 plus the ride. I'm not comfortable paying that amount of money without first determining that the power supply is bad. So I'm going to investigate the power supply in my unit, first.

The only other part Kevin said could go bad is the cooling unit. The cooling unit runs $367.22.