Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 28th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Husky 10 solenoid cover and Brownchurch brush guard

I know that a few of you are running this setup. Have you done any modifications to the solenoid cover to make accessing the solenoid easier? I can't get the cover off unless I pull the entire driver's side of the winch off. The Brownchurch brush guard blocks it. I'm thinking that I would have to trim the cover or cut it in half if I want to gain easy access to the solenoid.

I spent all weekend cabling up the winch and re-working my battery box. Imagine my disappointment when I plugged in my remote and got only a "click" from the solenoid. Winch is pulling a lot of amps (engine RPMs drop sharply) but the drum doesn't turn. Wish it was easier to get to the solenoid to troubleshoot.
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

I decided to just remove the bottom tabs on the cover. That's the only way to get the cover off without breaking the cover or dismantling the drum and driver's side support. I'll take my chances with the single screw on top securing things.

The "broken" solenoid wasn't a broken solenoid after all. I got a little crazy with my stealthy cable routing and one of the power leads was shorting out on the winch housing ever so slightly. I repositioned the lug and it runs fine now.
Old July 9th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Rob Davison

Chris, though I do not have the same bumper brush bar combination you are asking about, I have experienced a similar issue with my RTE bumper. I secured the plastic housing that protects the solenoid in the same fashion as you, with just a single screw, and a touch of loctite, and I have found it to stay securely attached.

Considering the fact that you are going uptown on your wiring, you may want to think about somehow wiring in-cab controls to your winch. I'm not familiar enough with the defender interior to know if this would degrade the style or if there are spare buttons you can engineer into stealth winch controls.

Old July 12th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Rob,

In-cab controls are nice but I'm probably not going that route. I really like Marc's steering wheel controls but on the Defender, I'm limited to the little switch panel down by my left knee. I'm not into the MUD pod tower-of-power look, either. The lower-left switch panel would work but I only have a couple of spots there and I want to conserve them for aux lighting, antenna motor controls, and APRS on/off if I ever go that route.

BTW, do you leave your winch solenoid wired to the battery? Someone was telling me that they will burn out over time if left connected.
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Rob Davison

I leave it connected/powered all the time, but have the plug disconnect that EE sells that I have been meaning to install, for the sole reason of theft deterrent.

I never heard of the burn-out thing, isn't that like saying a light switch in your house will burn out becasue it has power to it all the time, even though its off?