Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 17th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

I can't seem to get any work done...

My 686 is sitting at PSA ready for pick up. I'm stuck at work and will probably not be able to get it until Sat. I've got a lesson scheduled... accessories ordered...

Nope... not getting much work done this afternoon.
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:06 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Join the club.
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Ryan Taylor

When I was speaking with John last week I mentioned that one of the great things about concealed carry licenses in TX and UT is that you are exempted from both the background checks and wait periods. However, I didn't tell him how much of a pain in the ass it was to get my 687.
I found my gun while visiting my parents in Houston, TX, but I could not purchase it because I am a UT resident now. So, the dealer said that my father could buy it and then he would ship it to a FFL in UT for no charge, which seemed like a good idea. The problem was that we couldn't find a dealer in UT that would call us back. Finally, a dealer in Ogden (almost 100 miles from where I live) agreed to do the transfer. They told me that they would call as soon as it arrived, but I couldn't wait so I called back after 2 weeks and it still had not arrived. After bugging them many more times, I finally got someone on the phone who found it and said "it's been sitting here for two weeks!". I was pissed, but ran out the door to get it anyways.
The only problem was that it was snowing/sleeting/raining, Hard, and I only had about 2 hours before the shop closed. I-15 was coated in ice and I was moving about 20-30 mph in the left lane when about 30 cars in front of me began to form a huge sliding mass of wreck. I tried to brake gently, but my LandCruiser, sans antilock/ABS, began to spin. I did at least three 360s across 4 lanes of traffic, without hitting a single other car, and ended up ass-first in the ditch. Thanks to locking differentials, I was able to crab-walk out of the ditch ten minutes later. Now I was on a mission to get that gun. I arrived at the dealer with 10 minutes to spare, but the guy behind the counter said that it was their store policy to verify concealed carry permits with the BCI and the phones were down. So, I had to hop back in and head home. It took me three hours of extensive cursing to get home.
The next day (Friday), I made the round trip again and finally had it in my hands. It was still snowing but the roads were salted, so no spinouts. On Saturday it was still snowing, so I went skiing instead of shooting and managed to break my tibia into four pieces (see attached picture). Following two surgeries, seven screws, one plate, and 30 stitches, I had to wait through one month in bed and two months on crutches before I could stand upright long enough to shoot it. I only hit two targets out of fifty that day, but they were worth it.
So, I can brag about not having wait periods for my guns, but sometimes 10-11 days isn't so bad...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P202001923.jpg (158.0 KB, 67 views)
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

WOW!

aaron, quit bitching!

Old May 18th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

While it's true that my sob story about waiting for my 686 pales in comparison to Ryan's... I still reserve the right to whine about it a little!
Old May 18th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

aaron, you didnt' get it yet?