Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Trips / Events / Reports
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 20th, 2007, 09:04 PM
David Druck

Mojave Road

Heading out Thursday to run Mojave Road. Can't wait! I'll post up pics when we get back!
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:10 AM
David Druck

We made it! What a great trip!

Trip report..
http://www.adventureduo.com
Old March 27th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

You dildo!

You took a pic of the plaque in the middle of soda lake?

That's the only thing on the whole damn trail that you're not supposed to photograph so that finding out what it says is part of doing the trail.

nice work buddy.
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

X2!!!

You've gotta delete the picture with the plaque from the rock pile!
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:29 PM
David Druck

Dildo?? Nice attitude buddy.

I removed the photo.
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Translation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCALFJ
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah We did take a can of paint and spray something on the rocks blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

I don't know why you bothered with all of that other shit. The only thing that matters is that you did exactly what this fang guy claimed you did.
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:18 PM
fang

Thrashin' and Trashin'?

We were running the Mojave Road the same weekend as your group. Ya'll were obviously in a hurry because you blew past us early on the first day at some great speeds for such beautifully scenic country. Whoever had the firewood on the roof rack left a trail of firewood all along the road, which made for nice firewood rather than leaving it out there as "trash". The large pile of rocks on Soda Lake is called Government Monument and holds a special place in the history of the Mojave Road. Blatantly spray-painting SOCAL 2007 in large black letters across the front of this historic monument was sadly disappointing.

It seemed to us that the SOCAL group was running this road "blind", without literature or detailed direction from a number of great sources (primarily Casebier's definitive book on the subject); and it's disapointing to see an off-road enthusiast group emblazoned with club stickers seemingly running this historic road just to check it off the list, rather than respect the road for what it is and has meant to so many different peoples and cultures over the past centuries.

Tread Lightly and Leave No Trace were obviously not practiced by SOCAL on this run of the Mojave Road in March; we can only hope it was an anamoly and SOCAL does indeed practice good off-road ethics and practices elsewhere.

As fellow users of our public lands, we hope you do not continue to trash our beautiful desert.
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Rob Davison

Quote:
Originally Posted by fang
The large pile of rocks on Soda Lake is called Government Monument and holds a special place in the history of the Mojave Road. Blatantly spray-painting SOCAL 2007 in large black letters across the front of this historic monument was sadly disappointing.

I don't know Socal from Adam but that's a pretty tall claim, got any pictures?
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:33 PM
David Druck

Paul, let me clear this up best i can. Hopefully the first few things, you're thinking of a different group??

Quote:
We were running the Mojave Road the same weekend as your group. Ya'll were obviously in a hurry because you blew past us early on the first day at some great speeds for such beautifully scenic country.

Really? You've got to be kidding me! I have video from the entire trip, i was running a in car cam the whole time... maybe i should upload it to youtube? . When we passed you, we waived a friendly hand and I personally never even got a waive back. I was doing 5-7mph!!!!!!! If that! We weren't in a hurry. We actually wanted to camp further out than most of the traffic that hits that trail the 1st leg. So we wanted to get in major miles the first day. Is that wrong?

Quote:
Whoever had the firewood on the roof rack left a trail of firewood all along the road, which made for nice firewood rather than leaving it out there as "trash".

You know what, that's funny too. Cause i was following that FJCruiser all 3 days and i never once (including my passenger, which i just asked) saw wood fall off of their rig. Oh yeah and have about 10 hours of in car cam that i edited and never saw any footage of any wood whatsoever falling off his rig. If anything would have fallen off his rig, i would have stopped and picked it up and made sure his items were secure before rolling again. What type of vehicle was it? How'd you know it was on a roof rack? and By the way.. the wood was shrink wrapped.

Quote:
The large pile of rocks on Soda Lake is called Government Monument and holds a special place in the history of the Mojave Road. Blatantly spray-painting SOCAL 2007 in large black letters across the front of this historic monument was sadly disappointing.

This is true. And this was a terrible judgement call on our part. I do have plans to go back and fix what we did. We did take a can of paint and spray something on the rocks. Just like 1,000 others did before us. Did you happen to see... BOB **HEART** SARA? Did you happen to see the other RED spray painted rocks? There were tons of markings that people have made and painted. Everyone had done something show they had been there. In retrospect... yeah maybe it was overboard to spray 3 rocks we hauled in from no where.. but we only make mistakes to and learn from them. Please don't make any group out to be 'trashers' of the desert.

Quote:
It seemed to us that the SOCAL group was running this road "blind", without literature or detailed direction from a number of great sources (primarily Casebier's definitive book on the subject); and it's disapointing to see an off-road enthusiast group emblazoned with club stickers seemingly running this historic road just to check it off the list, rather than respect the road for what it is and has meant to so many different peoples and cultures over the past centuries.

Actually, there were 2 people in our group of 4 that had run the trail before. I had all the gps waypoints.. and i was 1 of 3 that had the guide book. And as far as not appreciating the route.. i did a full write up on it and a small narrative DVD talking about the history of this route and how its changed through the years. Also, 1 of the people on this trail run with us felt this was a very special trail run because their ancestors actually used this route. You couldnt be further from the truth on this one. We stopped at just about every single spot we could find... and even went to the Lava Caves north of the trail. Did you even see my link? We stopped at many many spots to enjoy this amazing trail. We did not treat this route like the Baja 1000 that you make us sound.

Quote:
Tread Lightly and Leave No Trace were obviously not practiced by SOCAL on this run of the Mojave Road in March; we can only hope it was an anamoly and SOCAL does indeed practice good off-road ethics and practices elsewhere.

We do, and we did..we packed in and packed out. We even left water for a stranded motorists or hiker at the mailbox.

And Before the mojave run we actually picked up trash in Calico at a event called the Calico Cleanup 2007. Yep, thats me in the July issue of 4Wheeldrive and Sport Utility. Oh yeah and last year i was at the Stoddard Valley Cleanup too. I've also attended more times than i can count West Coast 4 Wheel Drive Club's Toys 4 Tots parade here in OC. Trust me, we are not bad guys.

Quote:
As fellow users of our public lands, we hope you do not continue to trash our beautiful desert.
I will apologize for the group for making a bad judgement call at the monument on Soda Lake. We made a mistake there and i've already made a plan to head back and clean up the 3 rocks we tampered with. The other things you refer to are way off base. You can take what i say with a grain of salt cause you don't know me, or you can choose to believe what i say. It's up to you.

Hopefully one day i will meet you Paul or run into you on a trail and you will realize that im not a bad guy and either were the people that were with me. Take Care All.