User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:23 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Snap-on Techwrench Is Everything It's Touted To Be

We took delivery of our Snap-on Techwrench a few weeks ago. I've had a chance to use it a few times now, and I must say it is simply an awesome tool.

The Techwrench comes in a blow-molded plastic case to protect the Techwrench from knocks and dings from other tools inside the tool box:

To turn on the unit, simply depress the "I" button:

The unit will run a self-diagnostic that takes less than a second and then it's ready to go. The "U" button selects the units of measure. The Techwrench can measure in inch lbs.:

foot lbs.:

or Newton Meters:

The "up" and "down" arrows select the amount of desired torque. The range on our Techwrench is 5-100 ft. lbs., which I consider to be remarkable. Most click-type torque wrenches cannot surpass the 5x ratio and maintain proper accuracy. That is, a typical click-type torque wrench of this size usually ranges from 20-100 ft. lbs. The Techwrench goes down to 5 ft. lbs. and still maintains better than 2% accuracy.

Setting the desired torque is very easy. Just hit the up or down buttons. You can leave a button depressed and the longer you leave it depressed the faster it will scroll up and down. You can even do revolutions on the digital display. For example, if the torque is set at 99 ft. lbs. and you want to set 8 ft. lbs, you don't have to scroll "down" from 99 to 8. You can scroll up. The display will go to 100 and then 5 and then to 6, 7, and then to 8.

When reaching the preset torque, the unit beeps and vibrates. Thus, even if you are working in a noisy environment you can feel the torque wrench vibrate in your hand. You can easily feel the vibration through Mechanix-style gloves.

The digital display also flashes the exact amount of torque you applied to the fastener you just tightened. If you are careful, you can apply just the right amount of torque to a fastener. If you want to move quickly, you will apply slightly more torque to a fastener because you continue to turn slightly even after the preset torque is reached and the unit beeps and buzzes.

The ratcheting head on our Techwrench is the high-strength sealed type:

The head swivels 15 degrees for reaching into some tight spots:

Any more than 15 degrees and the torque reading is thrown off to unacceptable levels.

To turn off the unit, simply put it down. It will turn by itself if it sits stationary for two minutes. There is no need to set the unit to zero or anything. Just let it alone and it will shut off automatically:

When you turn the unit back on, the torque setting goes back to its previous setting and not to zero.

I love this torque wrench. I can't imagine myself using a click-type torque wrench after using the Techwrench. This is a great tool.

And, if you're really into it, you can get a new tool box just to house the Techwrench: