Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 11th, 2005, 01:37 PM
stansell

Oops

So, there I was, hooking up the switches in the dash up to the relays to power my Hella's and oops...

I was tapping off the leads going to the dimmer switch for power and grounded the positive lead which blew the circuit. Problem is, I can't find the fuse that the dimmer switch comes off of and all of the interior fuses are good.

So the question is, does anyone know where the fuse for the dimmer switch is? Any insight, leads or ideas would be appreciated. I am guessing that the fuse might be inline with the circuit, since there are no blown fuses I can find in the fuse box, but I could be way out to lunch.

99 DII

Last edited by stansell : February 11th, 2005 at 02:39 PM. Reason: more info
Old February 11th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansell
So, there I was, hooking up the switches in the dash up to the relays to power my Hella's and oops...

I was tapping off the leads going to the dimmer switch for power and grounded the positive lead which blew the circuit. Problem is, I can't find the fuse that the dimmer switch comes off of and all of the interior fuses are good.

So the question is, does anyone know where the fuse for the dimmer switch is? Any insight, leads or ideas would be appreciated. I am guessing that the fuse might be inline with the circuit, since there are no blown fuses I can find in the fuse box, but I could be way out to lunch.

99 DII

You have already checked the interior light fuse in the fuse box?
Old February 11th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Andrew Vick

The dimmer for the headlamps?
Old February 11th, 2005, 03:27 PM
stansell

This is the dimmer switch for the console lights (instrument cluster lights). I checked all of the fuses inside interior fuse cabinet and they all had continuity. I then rechecked fuse 13 (which I think is the fuse associated with the instrument cluster lights) and it was fine. I have been troubleshooting this int he daylight, but as far as I can tell, the lights in the instrument cluster are not coming on, nor is there power coming to the dimmer switch.

Does anyone know if fusible link 13 is the correct fuse. Any other ideas?
Old February 11th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Andrew Vick

Check the 20amp fuses in the engine bay fuse block. I think it's 13 in there as well.
Old February 11th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Andrew Vick

I can get the wiring diagrams if you'd like.
Old February 11th, 2005, 03:50 PM
stansell

avick,
I checked out the engine bay fuse block, no luck. No numbering on the fuse block, but both 20A fuses were fine. I also checked the continuity on the rest of the fuses (hoping for a lucky break, but no luck.

I am convinced this is a fuse problem, but I am rapidly running out of fuses to check. Maybe i'll go and check the interior fuses again in the daylight to make sure I didn't miss one.
Old February 11th, 2005, 04:06 PM
stansell

woohoo,

after checking with the "CD that has no name", it lead me to fuse 33, which sure enough is blown.

Now, off to landrover for a new fuse.
Old February 11th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Snwbord24

wow Rob, you finially completed a project without me being over there. Of course 5 or 6 phone calls probably helped out a little.
Old February 12th, 2005, 05:18 PM
stansell

Shane,
your jealousy over my 'new' lighting system can only be expressed by false bravado and cutting remarks. Seriously, thanks Ho and John for the help, it works flawlessly and looks completely stock. It is certainly nice to be able to operate the work lamps and auxillary lighting independent of the headlamps (in clear violation of several state laws I am sure). So many upgrades, so little allowance (from the wife).

John or Ho,
If you recall, the lights I have now are what I think are called 'catseye' hellas, same shape as the FF300 but smaller. I have lighting envy, but really like the shape of the catseyes due to their distinctive shape and how they match the contours of the rover(and I want to keep the 'stock' look as much as possible). How do the FF300's compare to the FF400's?
Old February 13th, 2005, 07:02 AM
v22guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansell
woohoo,

after checking with the "CD that has no name", it lead me to fuse 33, which sure enough is blown.

Interesting, that CD has saved my ass many times