Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 26th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Matt Kendrick
KI6CGL

Heading to Pismo

was going to list this in the trails/events heading, but, leaving in a couple of days so i thought i'd get more replies here:

heading off early this coming week to pismo for a little R&R. first time driving strictly in sand. what are the good tips and tricks? what and where to avoid? best place to camp during the day? (my little ones are still really small, so we're hotelling it for a couple of the nights). going solo vehicle, so, probably won't get too hairy for fear of getting buried.

any comments appreciated.
Old June 27th, 2005, 06:01 AM
KevinNY

Air down to 10-15 lbs, start slow, stop slower, don't make quick turns. It's like driving in deep snow, though you may not have that experience. It's all about momentum. After a half an hour you will have the hang of it. Bring a 12"x12" base for your jack. 3/4 ply works fine or a hilift plastic base.
Old June 27th, 2005, 11:31 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Make sure that everything in your vehicle is securely lashed down, as there are many whoops on the sand and it's easy to bounce your vehicle without trying to bounce it.
Old June 27th, 2005, 12:34 PM
alcruz

Hey Matt,

I finally saw your truck (my evil twin) down Lampson the other week and I think my wife has seen you cruise down the neighborhood a few times. Anyway just watch out for the ATV's their all over the place, specially now that it's summer vacation. If you have a CB antenna may want to add a flag on it, gives the ATV folks a heads up that your in their vicinity.

Cya around the neighborhood,

Al
Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:29 AM
Claudio Fernandez

Airing down to 15lbs works well for me too. As Kevin stated, it is much like driving in the snow. Keep the momentum going. Avoid wheel spin, that makes you dig in, especially if you are running any kind of MT's. Do the posted speed limit on the hard sand, by the water, they will ticket you.
They sell fiber glass whips with flags on them for $15 out there. Like Alcruz says, watch out for all those
ATVís and bikes.

Have fun
RD1