Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 25th, 2004, 01:42 PM
KI4WWU

Defender Bonnet Mount for Spare Tire

Hey I have the genuine LR spare tire mount for the bonnet on my 90 (for alloy rims) and have yet to install. I am considering switching to 110 wheels a la John Lee and wonder if the steel wheel will work with the mounting kit I have. Anyone have experience with these kits and the differences in the alloy and steelie ones?

I doubt I would use the hood mount very often, but I think it looks badass even without a spare up there. Any opinions before I start drilling the pristine bonnet on my 1997 NAS 90 ST with 26000 miles?
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:58 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I have the same kit but for the steel wheel. I have not installed my kit yet.

My understanding is that the alloy and steel kits are different and you can't mix and match wheels. I think this is correct. My recollection was that the wheel mounts with the outside of the rim facing up. If so, then the steel and alloy wheels would not interchange.
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:37 AM
KI4WWU

Hmmm, I'm just not sold on the whole idea right now. The extra weight from the 255/85 up there on the hood would bother me, as well as the reduced visibility. I just don't think I would ever really use it...
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Bogatyr

ronward,
I have a spare mounted on the hood of my IIa. It does reduce visibility a bit, but the real chore is lifting the hood with the spare on it. A friend has a full sized (265/70/16 or something similar) up there and he can barely lift the hood up...of course, he has a winch in the way.
Since I changed my wheel size from 15" to 16", I decided to store the new 16" spare in the bed and leave the dinky 215/75/15 BFG AT on the hood as a "donut". I'll prolly never use it either, but it's just my second spare, mostly for looks.
If I have any serious work to do under the hood, I'll take the spare off so I can rest the hood on the windscreen, well out of the way...I'm also a little concerned about that weight coming down on my if I do something screwey with the hinge holding the hood up...
Personally, I think the spare on the tailgate, high up is the best thing. It takes up way too much room in my 88".

Bogatyr
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:12 PM
KI4WWU

Yeah, I have been the owner of a SIIa 88 and a SIII 109 ex-MoD GS both of which had 235/85/16 BFG's with a spare on the hood. Not so bad and I suppose the leaf springs being as stiff as they are, especially the military spec heavy duty front springs on that 109.

For the 90, I run 255/85/16 BFG's and they are pretty beefy. I'd probably never run a trail with the spare on the hood.
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:19 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I've seen 255/85 on a Defender hood and it looks ridiculous. I think even 235/85 is pushing it.
Old June 29th, 2004, 06:44 PM
KI4WWU

Since the NAS 90 hood lacks any kind of recessed are like a series Deluxe hood, they do look too big for the hood. Oh well...
Old June 30th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Bogatyr

Ron,
Yeah, without a recess on the hood, it would prolly just look like you stuck the thing on there. And, as you mention, having a 255 on there while running a trail is pretty bad. Having a 215 up there is all I'd want on a trail...if I had room in the bed, I'd put it back there at the trailhead...I've got too many spare bits in the bed though...

Matthew