Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old September 6th, 2010, 08:02 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Sweet pics, Chris.

Your food pics are looking nicer than ever as well.
Old September 14th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Old September 14th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Tony DeSanto
Gen

That's interesting.

Hmmm...goulash and beef tortellini.
Old September 14th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Kimchi too.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:08 AM
Tony DeSanto
Gen

IGT

Well, since the Field Kitchen thread is really an opera thread, I thought I'd post this here.

Thank you, Ho, for all the advice, shipping so quickly, and for packing this whole setup so well. You are the origami master of packing up shipments.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1269.JPG (128.5 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1271.JPG (115.2 KB, 374 views)
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:49 AM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydesanto
Well, since the Field Kitchen thread is really an opera thread, I thought I'd post this here.

Nice.

Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:39 AM
wsixhan
W6HAN

Poor BBQ Grill. Might as well roll that thing into your storage... LOL.
Enjoy your Snow Peak setup.

Cheers!

Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:26 AM
Tony DeSanto
Gen

I know. I had thought of that when placing the IGT next to my home grill. We'll see; I can still see using the old grill, because I can cook a lot on that grill with over 10 times the cooking surface of the 2 BBQ boxes. But damn that IGT setup sure looks like it would be a lot of fun at home too.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:32 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

That's sweet, Tony.

Nice backyard too.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:34 AM
Tony DeSanto
Gen

Thanks. Too bad it's been too damn hot here to enjoy it. Looks like the cooler weather is starting to show up though. We need to enjoy it while we can.
Old September 27th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Ben Little
KE7BEN

Sweet! Yes, nice backyard.

Old September 29th, 2010, 01:50 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant:

Gotta take a pic of the kids in front of the monster chicken:

Note the bandage on my older nephew's nose. He got tagged in the face with a Force Action Lightsaber. This one:

I played around with these Force Action Lightsabers and they're awesome. They deploy very quickly and make the lightsaber noises.

I'm glad my brother is taking my nephews to these famous eateries. I really enjoyed going to them when I was a kid, and I still enjoy them today. In front of the sign:

Note the empty bench and absence of other people. My brother said the restaurant was nearly empty and they got seated right away. One usually has to wait at this joint. I hate waiting for food--I'm not white.

A little history of Knott's Berry Farm and the restaurant:

Walter and Cordelia Knott:

Pic of the menu:

Note the circle around the Mrs. Knott's Famous Fried Chicken. That's a clue for you. You might want to order this instead of the burger or chicken teriyaki.

The meal includes chicken noodle soup:

The dressing on the salad there looks like ranch. I usually order thousand island at these types of places.

Dig in:

Note the empty containers of jelly. My younger nephew sucks down jelly like liquified gummy bears. He's young and rookied out.

I hate jelly. I can't believe this place even serves jelly. Whenever you go to a restaurant and it serves only jelly and no jam, that's a pretty shitty experience. It's like going to a restaurant that serves Pepsi instead of Coke, or catsup instead of Heinz Ketchup, or margarine instead of butter. It's a rip-off.

Biscuits for starters:

Some say that filling up on the bread is for rookies. Well, that depends on the place. I think the biscuits here are better than the chicken, so why not.

Leave the jelly for the kids. Pimp out your biscuits with jam:

And not just any jam. Eat the boysenberry jam. I'm sure there are people who eat apricot jam at Mrs. Knott's restaurant, just as I'm there are people who order chicken tenders there. Don't do it. Do the boysenberry. I have never purchased a bottle of Knott's Boysenberry Jam at the market, just as I have never purchased a bottle of Bob's Big Boy Thousand Island Dressing at the market. But I eat this stuff every time I go to these places.

Biscuit topped with boysenberry jam:

Rudolph Boysen would be proud.

Out comes the chicken:

The chicken here is good but not great. But it's the same chicken as the chicken from long ago. It's not infused with herbs from the mountains of Nepal and it's not free-range organic save the planet fowl. It's just fried chicken.

Dig in:

Don't eat your fried chicken with knife and fork.

Before:

After:

Boysenberry pie for dessert:

No, don't order the apple pie for dessert. I'm sure the apple pie tastes just fine, but I wouldn't know because I always order the boysenberry. This pie isn't even that good. In fact, it's a Boysenberry Bomb:

But what other joints serve boysenberry pie? I always look forward to my next visit and piece of boysenberry pie, even though the pie isn't that great.

Eat it all:

Even if you feel sick from the Boysenberry Bomb, eat it all. It'll be several years before you have boysenberry pie again.

The check:

Note the "Maria" for the server. Times have changed. When I was a kid, all of the servers at this place looked as though they had names like Agnes Snodgrass or Zelda Butterball. Now it's "Maria".

Take home the leftover biscuits:

But don't take home the baby containers of boysenberry jam. Leave your boysenberry experience for when you're seated at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant.
Old September 29th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

I've eaten there many times growing up. I can't stand it.

I do remember liking the biscuits.
Old September 30th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Keith Armstrong

My Grandmother used to love to take me there. It looks just as good as I remember it being.

I was probably your older nephew's age the last time I was there.....when did Knott's get a roller coaster?!

Do they like to sit on the St. Bernard statue near the candy kitchen? ... presuming it's still there????
Old September 30th, 2010, 09:02 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I don't know anything about this St. Bernard statue. I'll ask my brother.
Old September 30th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Keith Armstrong

Well, it's conceivable that they've made a few changes around the place.

It might be almost 45 years since I sat on the poor old cast iron pooch.
Old October 4th, 2010, 02:14 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

We had a little backyard barbeque at my parents' house yesterday.

Salad:

Slap the kalbi on the grill:

Sizzle sizzle.

First turn:

Onto the platter:

All right, let's dig in:

My older nephew's carving skills are getting damn good. My younger nephew can't carve but tries:

Take a bite:

When you're packed full of meat, that's when you know to take another piece:

And then dig in some more:

That's my brother's plate. I ate the kalbi with my my fingers and my bones certainly had no tendon/meat/fat on them when I tossed them aside. That's the best part of the kalbi. Also, my knife is never edge-out like that when it's not in my hand.

When you can't eat another bite of beef, wash it down with some noodles:

The fruit on top is Asian Pears. These pears are succulent and delicious, but I know and my younger nephew knows that it's all about the hardboiled egg:

Mash up the hardboiled yolk with your stix and then you'll have little chunks of egg with every bite of noodles. I usually ask my mom for double egg in my noodles.

My older nephew's chopstick skills are getting pretty good too:

He still crisscrosses the stix. But he's pretty good.

Take a bite:

I was starving after shooting yesterday, so this meal went down great.
Old October 5th, 2010, 05:06 AM
KI4WWU

It's nice to see families get together like this. Also nice to see decent table manners, proper knife and fork handling, etc. All you lack is a crystal dish full of pickled okra and you'd be all set.

I'm hungry after looking at those pictures.

Old October 5th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

The Glory Burger. USDA Prime grilled burger, BBQ sauce, fried onion straws, bacon, cheddar cheese, and topped with an over-easy fried egg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46324_447962592261_586692261_5093385_8353614_n.jpg (41.9 KB, 28 views)
Old October 22nd, 2010, 04:56 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Headed up to Hagerstown, MD, yesterday to pick up a Defender that needs some TLC.

While there, we stopped at the Hempen Hill BBQ Bar and Grill.

I've been to this place before and had their BBQ. Their BBQ is very good but on this trip I wanted to try their Hill Hogger, Jr. burger. I hate getting a burger at a place known for their BBQ; it's like going to a steak house and ordering chicken fingers. BUt I wanted to give it a try.

This burger was big. I got mine with a side of sweet potato fries.

and kept everything lubricated with Lancaster Milk Stout served in a New Castle glass....

I was stuffed full 3/4 of the way through. But then it became a mission to finish. It was one of those "what was I thinking" monuments. But I pulled it off and felt like shit all the way home.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 01:02 PM
Tony DeSanto
Gen

Wow, that's making me hungry. Those look really good.

I like this shot.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 05:39 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Breakfast at Eklecticafe in Moab.

I've never considered Moab to have particularly good food. Most of the places seem to cater to the Jeep crowd. Moab Diner has decent green chile and the Jailhouse Cafe does a solid American breakfast, if you don't mind waiting half an hour for a table. On this most recent trip to town, I stumbled upon the Eklecticafe. It's on the north side of town and although it's right there on 191, it's easy to miss because their signs are small and the garden obscures things.

You walk in and order at the counter. I love these kinds of places.

I started off with coffee. I almost never drank coffee before this Utah trip. My travelling compadre is a dedicated coffee addict and I got really hooked on the Jetboil-and-french-press routine.

I put way too much cream in my coffee. I'm pretty sure that Mike will heckle me for this.

For breakfast, I had the wakame with tofu scramble, served with a soy-ginger dressing. I had never eaten breakfast with chopsticks before but it was awesome.

I also ordered some potatoes with green chile sauce. It wasn't on the menu but I saw both components and asked if they would make it for me and they cheerfully obliged.

Next time you're down in Abbey country, give Eklecticafe a shot.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 07:40 PM
Steve Rupp
KC9LHY

I've been to that place a few times and it is a pretty good spot for breakfast. I'm pretty sure dreadlocks or patchouli are a requirement for employment.

As for the coffee, I threw away my french press for the jetboil. It works ok but as I have become even more of a coffee snob since being in Seattle, it just doesn't cut it for me. If you do use the jetboil I would turn off the heat after it boils and wait 50 sec (per mike) before dropping in the grounds. You want the temp to be about 202 degrees. Don't boil the grounds. Let it sit for 1 minute then stir, then 2 minutes later press it down slowly.

My problem with the jetboil french press is the plastic just lets too many grounds get past. I carry a stainless steel Frieling french press now.

Old October 23rd, 2010, 07:32 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

The good thing about cream is that it will soften the coffee enough so that you can start to acquire a taste for it. Once you drink coffee on a regular basis and get the process down, wean yourself from the cream so you can fully savor the coffee.

The only time I use cream is when I desperately need coffee and have to drink some crappy stuff.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 11:12 AM
Louis Burrows

Just starting to wean myself off of the Cream. What bean do you guys prefer?

Nice photos, Chris. I like the local art the Eklectic has.