Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old September 18th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Jason Rose
KF7YVN

For John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox News

Fan's of the McRib will have to wait a longer to get their fix this year.
McDonald's will not roll out the popular pork sandwich in October, as it has it has in the past in an effort to boost year-end sales.
A memo obtained by Ad Age says "after looking at ways to strengthen the fourth-quarter 2012 OPNAD calendar," it will be on the menu in time for the holidays in late December.
The memo also said that in place of the McRib this fall, the chain will market two new products: the Cheddar Bacon Onion Angus burger and a similarly dressed chicken sandwich, positioned as premium items with higher prices.
McDonald's speciality sandwich, made of boneless ribs (shaped as a rack of ribs --did we mention it was boneless?) smothered in a barbecue sauce and topped with pickles and onions on a toasted bun, has a cult following complete with blogs and Facbook pages tracking its every move. *
The McRib is part of *the well-shaped McDonald's brand, and in fact, is its own brand.*Its success is dependent on its own scarcity.
According to Ad Age McDonald's is holding out the star performer in hopes the product will drive sales to meet those of December 2011, which were up a whopping 9.8 percent.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...#ixzz26reUo9uA

Old September 19th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

Fast-food establishments of a dubious nature, such as McD's, should avoid marketing anything with "Angus" in the title. It's just to close to the actual truth of what their food tastes like.

Old September 19th, 2012, 09:38 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Costco sells Choco Pies now:

I was going to grab a box for George at Rovers Down South, but the Choco Pies just didn't seem the same without the Korean writing.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:57 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:53 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman

reminds me of

Old October 19th, 2012, 03:50 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Costco has Panettone in stock again:

Old November 8th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Fried chicken livers at Bell's, a greasy spoon in my hometown that has been around since cars had fins.

I've been eating these damned things ever since my dad got me to try them when I was ten or so.

I love the shitty cafeteria plate and the styrofoam cup with sweet tea. Even the obviously-frozen crinkle fries are good when fried in grease that probably hasn't been changed since Bush was President.
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Jason Rose
KF7YVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu454

Fried chicken livers at Bell's, a greasy spoon in my hometown that has been around since cars had fins.

I've been eating these damned things ever since my dad got me to try them when I was ten or so.

I love the shitty cafeteria plate and the styrofoam cup with sweet tea. Even the obviously-frozen crinkle fries are good when fried in grease that probably hasn't been changed since Bush was President.
Have the same type of place back home. Fried chicken livers and fried gizzards. My dad made me try them at about 10 or 11. Now every time I go back I get a plate. Good memories.

Old November 8th, 2012, 09:18 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I've never had fried chicken livers. Looks interesting.
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
I've never had fried chicken livers. Looks interesting.

Livers can be found in most grocery stores here. They're cheap, around a buck and change for a one-pound tub. Of course, Georgia is covered with chicken farms and their attendant processing facilities.

I'll pick up a tub every few months. I'll rinse them off, toss them in a ziploc bag with some White Lily flour and a little bit of black pepper, and then fry them in a skillet on the stove.

My dad would always mix some Heinz ketchup, a bit of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce and a dab of A-1 (I know) to dip them in. I still do that and it always reminds me of better times with him.
Old November 8th, 2012, 02:29 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Poor A1. Everyone hates it. It's a bum rap. I think the reason everyone hates A1 is because he's trying to be all sophisticated lady on the art of eating steaks.

Check out this thread:

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/fa...eak.171119236/

A1 is for morons? Look at this guy:

Look at that baked potato. I think he cooked it in foil. There's zero seasoning on the skin. To add some flavor, he covered the potato with sour cream, bacon bits, and chives. There's probably butter under the sour cream. But homeboy thinks if you put A1 on your steak, then that's a dining disaster and you're an idiot. But he seems to have no problem with balsamic oozing onto his steak. Is balsamico really THAT different from A1? I guess it costs more.

Another cool motherfucker dinner from the same guy:

That looks like a meal you would see on ExPo. Look at his potato build. That looks disgusting, but he's perfectly fine with that. In fact, he's proud of it. But god forbid there be anything on the steak other than seasoning. That would be lowbrow.

Look at steak houses as well. If you ask for A1 you get the weirdo glances. But these same joints have no problem putting butter on the steak. They have no problem putting cheese crumbles on the steak. They have no problem putting some wine reduction on the steak. They have no problem serving you their house steak sauce. They have no problem piling saucy mushrooms on top of the steak.

But A1? No way man. That's not classy.
Old November 8th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

I think it depends on the situation whether A1 makes sense or not. I eat a steak once or twice a year. When I do, it's at the best place in Seattle. I just had a bone in 35 oz American Wagyu ribeye a few weeks ago. There's no fucking way that I'm putting anything on that mother. No A1, no blue cheese, no au jus, no wine reduction, no butter, nada. Just salt and pepper. The meat was too good on its own to fuck with.

On the other hand, I go completely low brow with meatloaf and cheaper cuts. On meatloaf, I either use ketchup or Heinz chili sauce. It just works. Once in a while I'll get some cheap ass steak and use it for a steak salad. I load it up with this super low brow Mexican seasoning packets. It tastes kick ass.

My point is that whether A1 makes sense is more dependent on the meat and the preparation. I don't care for A1, but if it floats your boat go for it. I just think its silly to put it on a bad ass steak that you just spent $80 on. Then again, if you order it medium or past that slather away.
Old November 8th, 2012, 03:18 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp
I think it depends on the situation whether A1 makes sense or not.

I think the situation is what most people can't adapt to.

If French's mustard is shit and Maille mustard is uptown, then Maille mustard must be good on burgers and hot dogs. Wash it all down with a great wine for good measure.

If wagyu beef is good beef, then why not make carne asada tacos and hamburgers with it? Or what about a wagyu steak sandwich?

My favorite place to have A1 is at Sizzler. I order the famous Steak & Malibu chicken. The mayo/dijon sauce is for the Malibu Chicken and the A1 is for the steak. I like this meal. No kidding. It's good.
Old November 8th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Hanging out with a lot of wine industry people over the last few years, a new per peeve of mine is the insistence of some to pair wine with everything. For fucks sake, if you are eating Thai food, drink a beer. A beer works. It is a perfect match. I'm never going to drink a damn off dry Riesling because some sommelier says so.

French's is wonderful on a hot dog. Just don't put any ketchup on it. That's disgusting.
Old November 8th, 2012, 04:04 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

My pet peeve is wine with chinese food. I don't doubt that there's haute chinese food out there. I also don't doubt that there are wines that are tasty with some chinese food.

But to me wine with chinese food makes as much sense as wine with mexican food. I just can't get into it. When I have chinese food, I want that free tea they give you and refill whenever you leave the lid open. That's half the fun of hitting a chinese joint. The waiters are all running around and yelling at each in Chinese. You can't even get their attention for anything. But they ALWAYS grab that pot and refill it with piping hot tea within 5 seconds of your leaving that lid open. It's hilarious.

And you're going to replace that experience with wine? No way.
Old November 9th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Cesar Gomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Look at his potato build.

Classic.
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Mike, you ate a 35 oz steak???
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:08 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Yep, I ate the entire thing as well as a few stalks of asparagus so it would be a balanced meal.

35 oz Bone in Wagyu Ribeye
Old November 14th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

What? Were they out of 96 oz. steaks?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-eOn...ting_old_96er/
Old November 14th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

I was a little uncomfortable when I left, but it was worth it. The funny thing is that I had my annual cholesterol blood test three days after I ate the steak and my total cholesterol was the lowest it's been in years.
Old December 17th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

I had lunch at Rudy's today:

Rudy's is a barbecue joint/gas station that originated in my hometown of San Antonio. In the late 90's, they got wise and started franchising, slowly. I was really excited to discover one here in Colorado Springs when we moved here in 2009.

One of the neat things about Rudy's is that they open early. I'm an early lunch eater. When I was in high school, my friend and I would tell our elderly Trigonometry teacher that we needed to fetch our homework from our cars and then we'd skip class at 9AM and go eat at Rudy's.

Rudy's uses only Texas oak and they bring in a lot of it:

You walk through the corral (it fills up at lunchtime) and order from the counter. The ordertaker yells the order back to the butcher, who cuts up your meat for you.

Rudy's has a trough where you wash your hands before eating.

I had something especially tasty today: the smoked baked potato. They take an enormous potato and put it in the smoker alongside the slabs of brisket until the skin is covered in "bark", which I think comes from the smoke and fat of the brisket evaporating and forming a crust on whatever it touches.

The potato has all of the regular fixings but they also add a meat of your choice. I chose chopped brisket. I added some onions and Rudy's Sause [sic] to my potato.

These potatoes are really, really big. Here's a photo of a potato I had last week with my son for size reference.

My potato was so loaded down with fixings that they had to put the brisket in a separate basket.

I can't finish one of these so I take the other half home for dinner. Total cost for two meals' worth of loaded potato plus a drink: about $7.00.
Old December 17th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

I may have to try Rudy's while I'm out there. At the risk of igniting a beef v. pork BBQ debate I'll have to say that I prefer pork.
Old December 17th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu454
I may have to try Rudy's while I'm out there. At the risk of igniting a beef v. pork BBQ debate I'll have to say that I prefer pork.

I always did, too. Until I had really good beef. Really good beef is hard to find, though.
Old December 17th, 2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
I always did, too. Until I had really good beef. Really good beef is hard to find, though.

Argentina
Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:31 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
I can't stand the voice that these people assume for their every-man's-food-critic blogs. Invariably they attempt to present their review in this plain-language conversational style but they can't resist trying to sound sophisticated because they're "foodies" (btw I fucking hate the word "foodie"). They come off sounding like high school girls telling you how great their prom was.