Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old December 10th, 2003, 05:06 PM
KI4WWU

Sure-Fire, which model???

I want a Sure-Fire light, but wife needs specifics. Either the Z2 or Z3. Which is the size of the 2 AA cell maglite? Any suggestions for trail and camp use mainly? On the other end of the spcetrum, what is the recipe for the most compact yet potent Sure-Fire set up out there?
Old December 10th, 2003, 05:25 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Ron,

The power of each SureFire light is commensurate with its size. The six-volt models product 65 lumens for 60 minutes and the nine-volt units product 105 lumens for 60 minutes. I would recommend the Z2 if you want to carry the light on your person, or the Z3 if you intend to carry the light in your vehicle. Either the Z2 or Z3 is a fine choice.

The Z2 is the one that closely approximates the size of the 2AA Maglite. The Z2 is slightly fatter though.

There are three-volt SureFires out there, but I generally don't like these. I much prefer six volts as a minimum. 65 lumens is the minimum required to blind someone.
Old December 10th, 2003, 06:31 PM
KI4WWU

How can I get a Z2 to produce 105 lumens John?
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:58 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

You can get a Z2 to produce 120 lumens if you fit the P61 lamp assembly.

The standard P60 lamp assembly, which the Z2 comes standard with, produces 65 lumens for 60 minutes. The more powerful P61 lamp assembly produces 120 lumens for 20 minutes.

I think the P61 is more suited to things such as weaponlights, which could use all the light possible and aren't really used all the time to illuminate things. For general-purpose use, I prefer to use the P60 because I might need the longer run time and 65 lumens is already very bright (substantially brighter than a 6D Maglite with new batteries).

My personal C2 is fitted with a P60 lamp. My personal spares carrier holds a P61 lamp and six spare SF123A lithium batteries. This way, I not only have a spare lamp assembly in case my main lamp craps out, but I also have the option of going brighter if the circumstances call for it. I also have a lanyard on my spares carrier in case I need a lanyard for my C2 (the C2 doesn't come with a lanyard like the Z2 or Z3).
Old December 10th, 2003, 09:42 PM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

I have to put in a word for my beloved Z3.

I know that the Z2 / C2 are more compact, but I certainly can't complain about the brightness my Z3 puts out at a minimal size increase.

I do not prefer to wear my Z3 around my neck with a lanyard, so it resides in my pocket on camping trips. Not once have I found it to be cumbersome, and its extra brightness is very much appreciated. In fact, I think that if I would have purchased a Z2 I would have been lamenting the loss of the extra brightness and the reduced size would have me wishing I had a larger sized flashlight in my pocket.

My Z3 will likely be used for camping situations only, and it has always proven itself capable, even in campsites where there has been absolutely no ambient light.

If you're looking for a flashlight to replace the AA Maglight, the Z2 is a capable light to be sure, but I really like my Z3.
Old December 11th, 2003, 08:26 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

One thing that I find a little odd is that I prefer the C2 to the Z2, but I prefer the Z3 to the C3.

Just to confuse things some more.....
Old December 11th, 2003, 09:48 AM
David Woo

surefire lights

Ron: I have a couple of G2Z's and a E1e with the LED head: I am tough on things and like the Nitrolon of the G2Z's.

Used to carry the E1e on my key chain, but agree with John that the 3 volt lights just aren't bright enough. So now it sits in the Tuffy box and a G2Z is on the keychain. Used to carry the G2 in a belt pouch, but it made a noticeable bulge under a jacket.

I've got a M3T or a M4 on my xmas list, as a vehicle light. Tried a M6 at a low level class, incredible amount of light, but very pricey, it's big so a little hard to hold.

The Surefire website has a bunch of good info: the rechargables are cool, too.
DW
Old December 11th, 2003, 11:49 AM
KI4WWU

I'm thinking the Z2 will be fine for a start. I can upgrade with brighter bulb in the future. I'm sure John and Ho will set me up when my wife makes the call.
Old December 26th, 2003, 05:03 AM
KI4WWU

Thumbs up

The Z2 came packaged with EE stickers, extra batteries and a set of convex side mirrors. Nice, and it was from my 4 year old!! Wife says "what is the big deal about a flashlight?"
Old December 26th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

ron, enjoy the goodies.

make sure you tell your 4-year old not to play optometrist or dentist with the surefire.

Old December 26th, 2003, 10:01 AM
KI4WWU

Roger that Ho. I explained to the girls that this is daddy's light, it is a precision instrument, a weapon some say, and is not to be played with. Then I turned around and saw my wife rolling her eyes...

Hey something y'all might want to mention in the convex replacement mirror write-up: Best to replace on a warm day when the rubber frame the mirror floats in has more "give". I tried yesterday to get my old one's out. Frames were so cold they would not stretch (and would have split if forced). Did not try the heatgun method however.

Carry on.
Old December 26th, 2003, 11:26 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I have found the easiest thing to do for replacing the mirrors is to leave the truck sitting in the sun and let the sun warm up the rubber gaskets.
Old February 14th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Has EE considered carrying the M series surefire line? I've had an M3 Millenium for a couple years now and am extremely pleased with it. It came with both the 125 and the 225 lumen lamp assemblies (downside with MN11 225 lumen assembly is only 20 minutes run time).
Old February 15th, 2004, 10:44 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

We have thought about it, as the M3 is a very popular model in the SureFire line. However, I must admit that I prefer the Z3 to the M3. the M3 has only a marginal power advantage over the Z3, but the M3 is considerably larger. I prefer the slimmer lamp assembly on the Z3.
Old February 18th, 2004, 12:51 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

We just got a new 2004 calendar from SureFire, and there are a few pics in there of a new M3 model. The new model looks identical to the older M3 in every way, except that the bezel surrounding the lens has shallow "spikes" on it. SureFire previously had several models with these spikes on the bezel, but I'm guessing that this is now a standard feature on the newer M3's.

This changes things. Now the M3 is meaningfully different from the Z3. The spikes are intended to increase the M3's utility as an impact weapon.

I like it.
Old February 27th, 2004, 09:10 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Greg, your timing is really good. SureFire informs us that the Z3 is discontinued now, and that the M3 is the official replacement for the Z3. We have a few Z3's left in the shop, but as soon as those are gone they will be replaced with M3's. I have never liked the M3 that much, as it is considerably bulkier than the Z3 and yet it produces only a little more light, but that new striker bezel on the newest M3's is really cool. That bezel totally transforms the M3. As soon as the new M3's are available, you'll see them on the EE site.
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

I just bought the L1 LumaMax from Ho for an article in Overland Journal. I am loving this light!

I have always appreciated metal machined components over plastic and wanted a light that had functionality around camp (low beam) along with a (moderately) tactical beam and tactical bezel.

This unit has the bonus of also being extremely compact and using one lithium.
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Agreed!

I love my L1! It is the light I carry in my pocket daily.

I also love my A2....

oh...

and my Z2 with P60L bulb...

I read a funny article in a mag about a "Flashlightman" one time...
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

yeah, that was such a funny piece.

We are talking about having flashlight man do an "ultimate" flashlight test for the spring issue
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:59 PM
KI4WWU

Wow...this thread revived after 4 years!! My Z2 is still going strong, after many, many battery replacements.

And my 4-year old is now 8!!!!!!!!!

Old December 19th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

Yeah, I am one of the rare breed of forum users that actually uses the "search" function