Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 20th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

the recessed area around flush pin also makes a great trigger finger rest - your finger has two homes: 1) on the trigger and 2) on the dimple
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hk5.jpg (44.6 KB, 137 views)

Old May 20th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

John, the reason that the 220 Swift is finicky, in my opinion, is the ultra-high velocity. With 52 grain rounds, I'm around 3800 ft/sec. That will surely heat up a barrel. Most non-varmint rounds are in the 2800 ft/sec range. The barrel is definitely clean and not shot out. There's probably only 300 rounds through it.

I do hand load my rounds. After I fireform the cases, I just push the shoulder back enough to allow the bolt to close. This keeps everything tight in a not-so perfect Remington chamber. I set the bullet depth so that when chambered the bullet rests on the lands. This may heat the barrel a little more than otherwise, but its a common practice and does help out with accuracy. With a off the shelf Remington 700 handloading can bring you down to .200" groups or less with a good person behind the rifle.

I'll give RB-17 a try. I figured it was similar to Sweets, so I never tried it.
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:06 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Check out:

https://secure.cnchost.com/kanolabs.com/kanopnlu.htm

I didn't know Kroil was available in a spray lube. I wonder how that stuff works as a penetrating lubricant for freezing corroded fasteners.

Speaking of which, a customer graciously left his spray can of PB Blaster here last week, and I've been playing with it for the past few days. I like this stuff a lot. I think it's the best penetrating spray lube I've tried. The PB Blaster really penetrates through the rust. You can see it on the corroded fasteners after you wipe off the rust. What is left is a very nice patina on the fasteners and most of the rust is wiped off. PB Blaster is also awesome at wiping away the waxoyl, which I have found very difficult to do with other spray lubricants.

Now I want to try Kroil more than ever.