Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 16th, 2004, 07:09 AM
jaime

Thumbs up Militec-1

this looks like some very cool stuff! especially for the knive and jack applications. my Victorinox definately needs it as I'm always using it around the yard and it could use a good cleaning plus lube. good tip on heating it on a radiator! the Benchmade doesn't see as much action, yet, it also could stand some attention. my JackAll really needs some maintenance as it travels on my roof rack on trips.

always find something very useful and practical to purchase from EE. good addition to the offering.

Jaime
Old March 16th, 2004, 08:45 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Jaime, I think you will be very pleased with Militec. I have been shooting a long time, and I have basically tried all of the available lubricants including Firepower-10, Break-Free CLP, Tetra Gun, WD-40, Tri-Flow, etc. None of these even comes close to Militec. I use Militec on all of my personal weapons and our shop tools.
Old March 16th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Rob Davison

Does the frequency of lubrication change?

For instance, your guns. Do you normally oil after every shooting session and now you can go two or three sessions without oiling?

Rob
Old March 16th, 2004, 02:48 PM
jaime

Question "murder cycle"!!

John,

whats this about a "murder cycle" as my father's good friend would call them when his kids wanted to buy one?

Jaime
Old March 16th, 2004, 03:14 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally posted by nosivad_bor
Does the frequency of lubrication change? For instance, your guns. Do you normally oil after every shooting session and now you can go two or three sessions without oiling?

Rob

I think the frequency does change. I usually lubricate after every cleaning, but my guns are much cleaner after shooting with Militec than with other lubricants so I would end up lubricating less. For example, a typical day at the rifle range includes about 100 to 120 rounds of .308. My HK91 is usually pretty dirty after these 100 rounds. But I notice that my HK91 is much cleaner after the same 100 rounds when it was lubricated with Militec. The carbon fouling on the breech face is thinner and less "caked" than normal. And not only is it thinner, it wipes off more easily. I usually clean and lubricate because the gun is dirty and not because the lubricant has dried up or cooked off. I'm confident the gun could go several range trips without additional cleaning and lubrication, but I don't like doing this because the gun is that much harder to clean with so many rounds through it. The copper fouling in the bore alone would be very bad and be a pain in the ass to remove.

Militec also purportedly bonds to the steel when the steel is heated so presumably after the Militec has dried up or or has been wiped clean or has worn away or has "cooked off" from heat, some lubrication protection is still there whereas with other lubricants it would be gone. I'm not a metallurgist so I can't attest to this, but thing that I have definitely noticed is that I can wipe down a gun that was lubricated with Militec and then shot to warm up, and the gun still feels very slick, much slicker than a normal "dry" gun and slicker than even some "wet" guns.

Jaime, here are some pics of my new ride:

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/gs650/DSC09686.jpg
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/gs650/DSC09688.jpg
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/gs650/DSC09689.jpg
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/gs650/DSC09719.jpg
Old March 17th, 2004, 06:30 AM
jaime

Thumbs up new toy

nice ride John. looks to be in very good shape as well from what one can see in the pics anyhow.

enjoy!

Jaime