Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old April 23rd, 2004, 02:41 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

curtis, it'll be a while for the beef ribs.
i just can't find the cut i wanted.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 02:53 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

all i can find is this:

ribs.jpg

Last edited by hochung : April 29th, 2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 02:58 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

LOL
never mind. i was looking for the wrong cut. LOL

i was looking for shortribs. let's see what i find.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:08 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally posted by curtis
For that matter, I am not even that big of a fan of baby back ribs (pork). While they can turn out well in both smoker and grill, to my taste there is just no rib that can compare to a decent smoked cut of pork spare ribs.

I heard that. I'll happily eat baby back ribs, and they're definitely good. But the baby backs feel dinky in the hands and don't have the more substantial and satisfying heft of the spare ribs. Also, baby back ribs don't have that glob of meat attached to the cartilaginous "knuckles" that the spare ribs have, and that area is my favorite part of the spare ribs.

Things might be different if the baby back ribs were from a real baby suckling pig. Then you're eating something exotic, which always makes the item seem tastier. But for me a baby back rib is just a punk ass little rib without knuckles. I'll take the spare ribs any day.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:34 PM
curtis

Ho: Go find those short ribs. Have you tried boiling them then grilling? I have not done this yet, but some swear by it.

John my friend, there is an Iron Chef in you just waiting to be unleashed. One of these days I can see you as the chef of all chefs. I kid you not.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:41 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally posted by curtis
Have you tried boiling them then grilling? I have not done this yet, but some swear by it.

Oh no, say it ain't so. Boiling then grilling is for the unskilled. A true master of disaster can make the meat fall off the bone just by grilling. And no, Curtis, I'm not one of them. I can't cook for shit.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:44 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

boiling takes too much taste of the beef out.
so, no, no boiling.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:46 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

just

Name:  ics2flame_.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  21.2 KB

Last edited by hochung : April 29th, 2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 04:18 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

here's slow cooking:

ribs4.jpg

Last edited by hochung : April 29th, 2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:03 PM
curtis

The boiling thing never sounded kosher to me, but I had to ask. Those boneless ribs actually look pretty tasty. Matter of fact, with the bone removed they probably grill well. Ho - can you share your new technique or are you gonna make me drive all the way out to Catbox again?
Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:05 PM
curtis

John - all it takes to make a good cook is to know how to eat good food and some attention to detail with multitasking abilities.

With your eye for detail I am sure you would make a great chef.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:40 PM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:53 PM
curtis

Craig,

I was just telling Ho the other day that my favorite food at Iron Catbox Showdown II was your sushi. Everyones offerings were fantastic, but good sushi is hard to top in my book

/C
Old April 23rd, 2004, 10:23 PM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

All this talk about smoking this and boiling that...

Sometimes it's just best not to cook.

Old April 24th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

craig, not a bad idea.... some tartare action perhaps?

Old April 24th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Steve Cooper

Iron Chef? I'll stick with the Magic Chef

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/bbrr3/P7260032.jpg

SC
Old April 25th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

"Few things in life are better than crispy fat."

When the pork shoulder is done being smoked, and the fat layer have mostly melted away, a nice homemade crispy pork rind is waiting for you.
Old April 25th, 2004, 10:54 PM
curtis

Mike - You nailed that one. At some time you & I need to talk more about smoking. With the exception of Craig, these CA boyz think everything needs to be cooked on an open flame
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:24 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I am in shock. Am I the only one who felt ripped off after watching Iron Chef America? I was expecting to see another chapter in the Iron Chef Saga, something reminiscent of the past special-edition Iron Chef Battles like the Tournament of Champions, the battle in France, the battle in New York between Flay and Morimoto, the King of the Iron Chefs Battle, or the 21st Century Battle featuring Toshiro Kandegawa vs. Sakai (my personal favorite of all of the special-edition battles).

What I saw on Iron Chef America was nothing of the sort. It was a diluted version of the original show, made more palatable for the American public. I'm surprised the theme ingredient wasn't Kraft Mac 'n Cheese or Miracle Whip or Jello or Ketchup.

Sure, there were some glimpses of excellence on the new show. In the Puck vs. Morimoto battle, Morimoto didn't bring his A game to the party, but even if he had, I think Puck would still have blown him away. Wolfgang Puck showed once again why he is a true master of the culinary arts and sciences. I think he is worthy of the title "Iron Chef" and his addition to the show was an excellent choice.

I also liked the choice of Alton Brown as the commentator for the show. Brown has a very cerebral approach to his own cooking on Good Eats, and that same scientific approach to cooking is reflected in his commentary on the show. Brown has a tough job ahead, as he is slated to replace both Kenji Fukui as commentator and Yukio Hattori as food expert. I don't think Brown can really replace both of these men, but he does this impossible task better than anyone else could.

Puck and Brown are jewels in an otherwise sea of shit. Iron Chef America sucks. Among the numerous flaws in the show are:

(1) The guests suck. I don't know who picks these guests, but why get that woman from Trading Spaces? I hate that white trash show. Her comments were limited to, "what kind of egg is this?" Like that even matters. That food critic from Vogue was a joke as well. His commentary was as sloppy as his table manners. What a philistine. That mobster guy wouldn't eat raw fish. Who the hell picked this guy for a Japanese battle? Is a vegetarian going to judge the next Kobe beef battle? Unreal. The guests on the original Iron Chef were almost always interesting people with thoughtful commentary on the food. I get the impression that they were handpicked by Kaga. They also participated in the show's play-by-play commentary. The guests on Iron Chef America generally sucked and had nothing substantial to say, so it is just as well that they did not participate in the show's commentary. I think Ted Allen of Queer Eye was the only interesting guest in all four battles.

(2) The new chairman sucks. This guy has absolutely no qualification to be the host of Iron Chef, other than he's purportedly the nephew of Chairman Kaga. The new chairman is such a fake too. That Karate Kid Numba Wan Son act he plays when he bows to that yellow bell pepper is pathetic. Who bows to a piece of food? The only time I have someone do that was when I saw a bunch of Mexicans on the news praying to a fucking tortilla because they thought they saw the image of the Virgin Mary on it. Unbelievable.
Old April 26th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

John, you're not the only one who thought the show sucked. http://slate.msn.com/id/2099420/.

I haven't got a chance to watch it yet; it's on TIVO. After the reviews, I might just delete the shows.
Old April 26th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Mike, they are hardly worth the time to watch.
Old April 26th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Rob Davison

John you sound upset....

I was only able to watch the preshow warm-up special and then the first battle Lay vs Morimoto I think it was.

Honestly it was 2 am and I fell asleep during the last commercial when they crowned the winner. So I still don't know who won.

The cooking seemed pretty good but I will agree with the lame food tasters. It was just terrible.

Hopefully I can catch some rerun action and loath along with ya'll.

Rob
Old April 27th, 2004, 08:18 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Food Network is rerunning the Iron Chef America battles this week at 11:00 p.m. The only one worth watching though is the Puck vs. Morimoto battle. Wolfgang Puck really does walk all over Morimoto in that battle.
Old April 29th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

shit, you guys crack my ass up