Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old November 4th, 2004, 08:17 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

SEMA Show Pics

More and more companies appear to be getting on the OCC bandwagon. At the SEMA Show, I saw OCC bikes for Rand:

and also for CRC:

Unlike the Snap-on and Miller bikes, the Rand and CRC bikes appear to be just standard-pattern OCC bikes with special paint jobs. The two bikes look almost identical.

And for those of you who think the rear of the LR3 is hideously ugly, the rear ladder helps a bit:

Safety Devices says it's already working on a real roof rack for the LR3, things should improve even more.
Old November 6th, 2004, 06:22 AM
KVT

Cool

The guy that comes up with the spare tire mount for the rear door is king...
Old November 6th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Str0ud

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVT
The guy that comes up with the spare tire mount for the rear door is king...

If only it was a door. It's a freakin hatchback tailgate. The step in the window, handle and license plate mount all work against a spare tire mount out back. It would have to be a body or bumper mounted swing away like on a jeep or bronco.
Old November 6th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Nick Bowerman

I personaly found this comment pretty funny:
"If you have seen the LR3 in person, you know just how large the tail lights are. This may well be the largest lamp guard in the history of mankind."

Also where can i get one of those green high lift jacks.

Old November 7th, 2004, 12:28 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

We might order those green jacks but I'm not crazy about them. All of the chrome on them is a turn-off to me. Also, the green will be available only in 48" size and I prefer the 60" jack.
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

great write up.
really enjoyed the addition of commentary.

seems lots o synthetic line coming from the big guys now.
is there any science behind the various manufacturers' claims that there line is superior in terms of strength?

I just had a hellacious trip into death valley and the wire cable that i had worked so carefully to preserve in good working condition finally suffered a nasty bird's nest.
Old November 8th, 2004, 05:22 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I doubt one line material is demonstrably better than another. If one line material had it all, then all of the synthetic lines would be made out of that material. I think it's more brand wars than anything else.

For example, I hear lots of shit-talking about Amsteel Blue. Many say it's demonstrably weaker than other, newer materials. Perhaps it is, but I have never heard anything credible about why it's weaker or less suitable. And I always use Bill Burke as an example for Amsteel Blue. Bill wheels more in one year than most people wheel in a decade or even their entire lives and he uses Amsteel Blue on both of his vehicles. If Amsteel sucked that badly I would think he would have had problems with his Amsteel lines and chucked them already.
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:44 AM
nickt

Nice write up John, thanks.

I had a look at an HSE here in the UK the other day. All of the UK models, except for the base coil-sprung one, come with 7 seats. That's not ideal for my travels, I'd prefer 5 seats.

I couldn't tell from the pics, but is the G4 LR3 a 5 or 7 seater? If it's a 5 seater, what have they done with the space the rearmost seats would take up when folded?

Cheers,
Nick.
Old November 10th, 2004, 10:09 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I think the G4 LR3 is a five-seater but I'm not sure. The LR3's third row seats are actually very cleverly designed to fold flat when not in use. I kinda dig them.
Old November 11th, 2004, 02:09 AM
nickt

That'd be greatif it were a 5 seater. I was thinking that with the 7 seats, there'd be less places to secure rails/hooks etc. though the sliding shelf thingy looks pretty cool.

Nick.