Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 25th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

Winch F'ing Master

Jack-

You are truly a recovery badass.

Glad you made it back safe. Hope the truck is OK.
Old March 26th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Jack's mishap punctuates the importance of properly securing and stowing you stuff. Jack said his Engel was still running while sideways...
Old March 26th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Snwbord24

So who's got the story about how that happened?

Glad nobody was hurt and it looks like you only need a new door.
Old March 26th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

thanks craig.

i was pretty pleased to have been able to get the truck back upright with no other vehicles around and little in the way of anchors. the expeditionware winch line was used for the first time in anger when it counted the most. clearly it got the job done.

greg is right, my compulsive obsession with having all cargo secure definitely paid off. nothing moved. my cell phone fell out the window and that was it. fridge, cases, hi-lift, CO2, jerry cans, recovery, clothes, fire extinguisher, etc. all firmly fixed in place, just rotated 90 degrees.

you can sort of see in that picture above, the cause of the flop was that little dirt ledge. it collapsed as the rear of the disco went over it. the front was fine but then as the end went over it slid out and over we went. quite suprising really. we knew we were going over, but we had no idea why. just goes to show it comes when you don't expect. first day. not even running a trail, just looking for a campsite.

unfortunately we then had to turn around and climb back up that little ledge which eroded rapidly. It got so steep and we got so sideways that we had to hi-lift a boulder out from behind the truck so we could back up just enough to get the waffle bridges in there. yes, that's right we broke out the leggo-my-eggo waffle action to make it out.

as for damage, obviously the door and window are toast, but the bummer is that it caught the roofline. the rack and all that stuff have to come off and the roof has to be pulled out.
ugh.
Old March 26th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Nick Bowerman

I am just curious but how did you secure the jerry cans that were on the back seat? I also thought it was pretty impressive your inginuity in uprighting yourself and how everything was secured.

Old March 26th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb857
I am just curious but how did you secure the jerry cans that were on the back seat? I also thought it was pretty impressive your inginuity in uprighting yourself and how everything was secured.

there's no backseat in my truck. the jerry cans are strapped in with ratchets on the floor like the rest of the cargo. just added the tie down brackets where necessary. strap goes over the top and around the front. kind of a pain in the ass to get in and out but all four of those cans were totally full and didn't move at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0189 (small).JPG (37.4 KB, 132 views)
Old March 26th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Doug Carey

oh shit....just saw the pics Jack.....glad you made it out ok....Nice Winch job!!! BB would be proud!!!

Old March 27th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Sorry about the mishap Jack. I am glad that you guys were not hurt and that the damage is relatively speaking... pretty minor. Craig is 100% correct... you are a recovery bad ass!!