Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old January 23rd, 2005, 07:38 PM
Lee Walden

Exclamation CB Antenna help on 04 Disco

I am a new member to EE and was wondering if anyone could help me out on what kind of CB Antenna I should get and where I should mount it. I have seen pictures on the site of mouting them on the spare tire mount? Is this the best place?

Thanks
Old January 23rd, 2005, 08:10 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Ideally, you should mount an antenna on a roof rack so that the entire antenna would be higher than the roof. I have mine mounted on the spare tire mount, but need a 4' antenna to get enough of the antenna over the roof to get a decent SWR. When I use the 2' the SWR is out of whack. Another problem with the 4' antenna is that when you are off-roading the antenna will hit the top of the door when it is bouncing around.

I think a 2-3' antenna on a roof rack would be the way to go.

As far as brands go, I have had decent results with my firestik. I've never used anything else to compare it to, though.
Old January 24th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Lee Walden

Thanks for the tip, should I use a 90 degree bracket and mount it on the spare tire rack or is there something better? Also, what is the best way to get the cable inside the car? I will probably go the roof rack route, but now funds are too short for a rack at this point. Sorry about all the questions, thanks for the help!

Last edited by LeeAWalden : January 24th, 2005 at 05:16 PM. Reason: forgot a thought
Old January 31st, 2005, 03:53 PM
sartec3

this should help out with the install

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/cbantenna/
- tim