Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old September 29th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Craig Miller
K7NAV

SLS: Spacers/bags vs coil conversion?

Hi... I just registered after lurking for a few weeks. This is my first post and I am fairly new to modifying vehicles. It has been a really great place to get info, read about others experiences/mods, and to get excited about doing more with my truck than driving to a trailhead. :clappin

I want to lift my 1998 Disco Series II 3" and add a Safari Guard front bumper (adding a winch later). I currently have BFG MTs 255/70/R16, but may upgrade to 265/75/R16s if they look way to small.

On the rear, I have read Hahn's article, and googled till I passed out on the keyboard but I am still an uncertain novice. What are your preferences...

1. Replace the SLS airbags with coils?
2. Add a 1.5" spacer, then move the sensors slightly to get a full 3" lift? Does this require new shocks? How does it ride with no sway bar?
3. Other?

I want to do it "right". Meaning, I want a truck that handles good off-road, with good articulation, etc but that will still drive nice on the road since it sees 98% of its life going to/from work. I am leaning towards #1.

Thanks,
--Craig
Old September 29th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Snwbord24

First, The DII started in 1999. So you either have a 1998 DI or a 1999 DII. There is no 1998 DII.

I think that replacing the airbags with springs is the way to go. I didn't have SLS myself but I know the ride quality with OME springs/shocks is pretty good with the 3" lift. The conversion from SLS to coils is very simple to do as well. The problem with airbags is that they can wear out and fail. If one fails while you're on a trail it'll be difficult to drive it if not impossible. I don't know the freqency on failures though. It might be low so keeping the airbags might be fine. I do know that your springs won't 'fail'. They may sag over the years but $70 bucks per spring is alot cheaper than an airbag is.
Old September 29th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Craig Miller
K7NAV

Thanks for the reply. I just made a typo on the year. It is a 1999 DII.

I am thinking the same. Replace the SLS with coils. Do I just:
- Remove existing air bags
- buy the rear perches from the dealer, tap the hole, and mount them?
e.g. buy the Spring Seat (ANR3578) in the EE catalog.
- mount shocks/springs with 1" spacer
- Get dealer to remove SLS related stuff from the ECU

I am thinking about 751 coils on the front, and 781s on the rear with OME N107/108s.

I am going with the 751s on the front because I was hoping to add either a Safari Guard or TJM bull bar now, and a winch later.

On the rear, should I go with the 762s or the 781s? I don't haul a lot regularly, but it is a big vehicle and does get loaded down on trips / moving stuff, etc on occasion.

Thanks for any opinions / thoughts. I guess I am just trying to allieve any fears I might have before jumping in. :-)

--Craig
Old September 29th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Snwbord24

Craig,
The swap is that easy. I thought the holes on the axle were already tapped, but my friends '99 DII wasn't tapped so maybe his wasn't the exception. You just need the dealer to go in and tell your ECU that you have coils and no SLS. The easiest way to remove the airbags is to deflate them at the air compressor. Just remove the air line and they'll deflate (have the vehicle secured of course first).

Maybe Stansell will chime in here. He has a '99 DII as well. I believe he's running 751 front and 762 rear on his. I've had my 781's loaded down somewhat and they were fine, if that helps. I don't think you can go wrong with either rear spring unless you're gonna regularly haul/ tow heavy loads.
Old September 29th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

my disco has the SLS. it makes all kinds of noises and it's starting to bother me.
so, soon, i am going with 751 front and 762 rear. and adios to SLS.

the only use for SLS, is the compressor, if i can figure out how to wire it to work as a back up air source.

you're right, it's a roomy vehicle, and i often times have it loaded with all kinds of stuff. so i am going with the 762.

Old September 29th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Craig Miller
K7NAV

Thanks guys, this has been really helpful. I think I will order the parts tomorrow. I think the complete grocery list is:

Front:
1 Pair OME N107 shocks
1 Pair OME 751 coils

Rear:
1 Pair OME N108 shocks
1 Pair OME 781 coils (slightly nicer ride since I don't haul much)
1 Pair 1" spacers
1 Pair Spring Seats (ANR3578) <- Is this the "perch" that I need?
1 tap (Need to figure out the size)

Am I missing anything? Do I need longer brake lines?

--Craig
Old September 29th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Snwbord24

10 mm 1.50 pitch for the tap

You don't need extended brake lines with those shocks. If you get long travel shocks for more drop then you'd need extended lines.

Yes, that's the part number for the spring seats.
Old September 30th, 2004, 09:35 AM
stansell

Craig- I think EE now carries the spring seats, so you don't have to pay dealer prices. Check with John or Ho. I did the conversioon on my 99 DII also, simple job (especially since Shane did most the work while I supervised with beer in hand). If you have rock sliders, simply use a Hi-lift on them and use your bottle jack in between the axles and the frame to slide the old springs out and put the new ones in, this way no spring compressor is required and the job goes quicker. If you have no hi-lift jacking spot, you should probably get a spring compressor. As far as the 762 in the rear, I didn't notice any harsher ride going from SLS and it is nice to tow something heavy, but if you don't forsee towing much, you could probably go to the MD set.

Ho- If you figure out a way to use your SLS pump for backup air, let me know. Mine is still hanging around down there, useless and forgotten.
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Craig Miller
K7NAV

Thanks Stansell. I will go with the 762s too then.

How does it handle on the street after the 3" lift, but without stabilizer bars?

--Craig
Old September 30th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Snwbord24

Craig,
Rob has ACE so he still has his "sway" bars installed. On my '03 I noticed alot of body lean on the highway. It got a little squirly in high winds but not horribly bad. I put the sways back on and it's just fine now. Unless you have long travel shocks and extended brake and ABS lines then you really don't gain much from having the sway bars off. I may eventually remove the rear bar again and get quick disconnects for the front. I like the sways on for daily driving though. I have the 781's in the rear though and not the 762's.