Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old September 6th, 2006, 06:46 AM
jeremy

Winch with TJM bumper

Hi,
Last weekend I managed to successfully install my winch using the TJM bumper and winch tray.

However when I looked at some of the photos on the Expedition Exchange site, it looks like the winch relay can be hidden, whereas mine is mounted on the outside.

I also looked at mounting the Curt hooks like this one https://www.expeditionexchange.com/b...s/DSC07968.jpg
I bought 2 of these hooks from expedition exchange but there doesn't seem to be room to get the bolts through when the winch is in place (the photo above seems to show the hook bolted to the tray without a winch there).

If anyone can help with any tips on how to mount these hooks, or how the relay should be located (inside the bumper?) I would be grateful.

I can also add that mounting the winch tray was not that straight forward. We did not find a way to thread all of the bolts from the inside towards the outside as diected by the installation instructions. The winch (Superwinch X9) gets in the way, even moving it about within the tray doesnt help. We also found that the gear/clutch lever will not operate!

Thanks for any advice,

Jeremy
Old September 6th, 2006, 09:09 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy
...when I looked at some of the photos on the Expedition Exchange site, it looks like the winch relay can be hidden, whereas mine is mounted on the outside.

Yes, the winch solenoids may be hidden under the hood or behind the front grill or somewhere else not visible if you desire. Lots of people mount the winch solenoids in the battery box. Others mount the solenoids just behind the front grill, in front of the condenser fan. Just extend the power cables to give yourself the necessary reach.

We really like the hidden solenoids and do all of our TJM installs in this manner:

When mounted in these hidden locations, the remote plug becomes inaccessible, so you will have to extend the wiring for the remote plug. I like to mount the remote plug on top of the bumper blade near the DS washer jet. You can see the winch remote plug mounted here:

Quote:
I also looked at mounting the Curt hooks like this one https://www.expeditionexchange.com/b...s/DSC07968.jpg
I bought 2 of these hooks from expedition exchange but there doesn't seem to be room to get the bolts through when the winch is in place (the photo above seems to show the hook bolted to the tray without a winch there).

There's room for both the winch and the hooks, but just barely. Here are two pics with both installed:

Cut the extra length of bolts flush with the nuts to give the clearance for the winch. Alternatively, buy shorter bolts of the proper length (tip of bolt flush with tip of nut when the hooks are mounted on the winch tray and the fasteners are tightened.) There will be enough room there with the shorter bolts. The bolts that come with the Curt hooks are too long:

Quote:
I can also add that mounting the winch tray was not that straight forward. We did not find a way to thread all of the bolts from the inside towards the outside as diected by the installation instructions. The winch (Superwinch X9) gets in the way, even moving it about within the tray doesnt help. We also found that the gear/clutch lever will not operate!

Mount the tray first, inserting the bolts from the inside of the frame horns. Then install the winch. It's a tight fit, but the winch squeezes between the winch frame and the body. Remove the winch cable before working to make the winch lighter and easier to handle.

Your winch sounds as if it is pushed to the DS. Loosen the bolts and push it toward the PS. This will give the clearance necessary to operate the winch's clutch lever.
Old September 7th, 2006, 12:02 AM
jeremy

Excellent, thanks for the info! Will look at it later in October at our club garage meeting.

Jeremy