Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 6th, 2006, 06:46 AM
jeremy
 
Posts: n/a
Winch with TJM bumper

Hi,
Last weekend I managed to successfully install my winch using the TJM bumper and winch tray.



However when I looked at some of the photos on the Expedition Exchange site, it looks like the winch relay can be hidden, whereas mine is mounted on the outside.


I also looked at mounting the Curt hooks like this one https://www.expeditionexchange.com/b...s/DSC07968.jpg
I bought 2 of these hooks from expedition exchange but there doesn't seem to be room to get the bolts through when the winch is in place (the photo above seems to show the hook bolted to the tray without a winch there).

If anyone can help with any tips on how to mount these hooks, or how the relay should be located (inside the bumper?) I would be grateful.

I can also add that mounting the winch tray was not that straight forward. We did not find a way to thread all of the bolts from the inside towards the outside as diected by the installation instructions. The winch (Superwinch X9) gets in the way, even moving it about within the tray doesnt help. We also found that the gear/clutch lever will not operate!

Thanks for any advice,


Jeremy
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old September 6th, 2006, 09:09 AM
johnlee johnlee is offline
John Lee
K6YJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 16,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy
...when I looked at some of the photos on the Expedition Exchange site, it looks like the winch relay can be hidden, whereas mine is mounted on the outside.


Yes, the winch solenoids may be hidden under the hood or behind the front grill or somewhere else not visible if you desire. Lots of people mount the winch solenoids in the battery box. Others mount the solenoids just behind the front grill, in front of the condenser fan. Just extend the power cables to give yourself the necessary reach.

We really like the hidden solenoids and do all of our TJM installs in this manner:













When mounted in these hidden locations, the remote plug becomes inaccessible, so you will have to extend the wiring for the remote plug. I like to mount the remote plug on top of the bumper blade near the DS washer jet. You can see the winch remote plug mounted here:




Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy
I also looked at mounting the Curt hooks like this one https://www.expeditionexchange.com/b...s/DSC07968.jpg
I bought 2 of these hooks from expedition exchange but there doesn't seem to be room to get the bolts through when the winch is in place (the photo above seems to show the hook bolted to the tray without a winch there).


There's room for both the winch and the hooks, but just barely. Here are two pics with both installed:







Cut the extra length of bolts flush with the nuts to give the clearance for the winch. Alternatively, buy shorter bolts of the proper length (tip of bolt flush with tip of nut when the hooks are mounted on the winch tray and the fasteners are tightened.) There will be enough room there with the shorter bolts. The bolts that come with the Curt hooks are too long:




Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy
I can also add that mounting the winch tray was not that straight forward. We did not find a way to thread all of the bolts from the inside towards the outside as diected by the installation instructions. The winch (Superwinch X9) gets in the way, even moving it about within the tray doesnt help. We also found that the gear/clutch lever will not operate!


Mount the tray first, inserting the bolts from the inside of the frame horns. Then install the winch. It's a tight fit, but the winch squeezes between the winch frame and the body. Remove the winch cable before working to make the winch lighter and easier to handle.

Your winch sounds as if it is pushed to the DS. Loosen the bolts and push it toward the PS. This will give the clearance necessary to operate the winch's clutch lever.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old September 7th, 2006, 12:02 AM
jeremy
 
Posts: n/a
Excellent, thanks for the info! Will look at it later in October at our club garage meeting.

Jeremy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LR winch tray mod stansell General 9 February 12th, 2006 01:27 PM
T15 Aluminum Bull Bar Bumper / T15 Steel Bull Bar Bumper michael Technical Discussions 1 December 16th, 2003 09:40 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:43 PM.




Copyright 2001-2012 Expedition Exchange Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.