Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old November 19th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

I've had mine for a year or so.

I really like it. Until I owned the Campy, I always used a Laguiole opener. Now I always grab the Campy. Even if something is cool, you'll only use it if it gets the job done. Every other twist style corkscrew I've used or owned sucked. They worked, but felt crappy. The Campy works really well.
Old December 5th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Ben Little
KF7FVH

I love anchovies. I love eggnog. I've never had a bite of fruitcake but I probably would like it too. Come to think of it, I haven't had too many things I didn't like.

Balut, anyone?
Old December 7th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

What's not to love about fruitcake? Two colors of cherries, citron, pineapple, cake, nuts, some brandy or bourbon?

To go with your fruitcake:

Old January 6th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

My wife and I took our kids to Disneyland for a few days last week. We decided to take a day at the end of the trip to decompress from the massive crowds and we booked a night in Hollywood. A while ago I read about a restaurant called Petit Trois, which is a tiny little French style bistro.

As we got on the road, I popped the address in Google Maps on my phone and we drove through the infamous LA area traffic. As we were headed north on Highland Ave, we were trying to find the place and ended up driving past the address on the GPS. Here's why:

IMG_2185

Apparently the budget didn't allow for a new sign or they wanted to stay under the radar; I don't know. Anyways, we walked inside and got seated. This place is tiny. There might be sixteen seats. This has to be the smallest restaurant that I've been to that wasn't a take out joint.

The menu:

IMG_2175

It's always a good sign when there is a limited menu. I'm not the type of person to get freaked out by prices, but $18 for an omelette had me wondering. When I read about the place, the article specifically mentioned about how good the omelette was, so I had to have one.

IMG_2182

I'll admit, I'm a sucker for omelettes. I make omelettes for myself and my wife at least 4 days a week. I've been working on refining my technique and I thought I could make an omelette as good as anyone. I was wrong. This simple dish was one of the best plates of food I've had in years. It's really hard to describe how good the omelette was. My goodness, the thing has only 5 ingredients: eggs, butter, cheese, salt & pepper. It's all about technique and the guy had it mastered.

Jambon persillé:

IMG_2179

This is old school France. Frankly, I was surprised something so untrendy would even be on a menu. My wife wouldn't touch the thing. It really looks like chunks of ham in Jell-O. Once you get past the whole chunk 'o meat in aspic concept, you are rewarded with a great plate of food.

Onion soup:

IMG_2180

My wife had the onion soup, which she said she thought was as good as anything she's ever had in France. I tried it, and it was good, but it's not like I'll be thinking about the soup years from now; it will be the omelette and jambon persillé.

The restaurant:

IMG_2181

This gives you an idea of how small the place is. I was seated along the back wall.

All in all, I loved this place.
Old January 6th, 2015, 09:27 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Credit cards only?

That's bullshit.
Old January 6th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Old January 6th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp

That's a bummer. I hope, at least, that they make you set your card on the little tray instead of handing it to the cashier.
Old January 6th, 2015, 10:15 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

That's bullshit too.

One of the draws of Phillippe's was cracking up at the broke ass white people standing in line for the mini ATM machine. That was hilarious. These dumb asses don't even have $20 in their pocket.
Old January 12th, 2015, 09:35 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:07 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old February 24th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Old February 24th, 2015, 05:46 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Remember that Gumi video? They serve the Yokozuna Stew next door to the yakitori:

I've never tried it. Every time I hit Gumi, I go for the yakitori.

It would be awesome to walk in the chanko joint with that giant rope around your waist.
Old February 24th, 2015, 11:08 PM
marcus vitale
KI6NVU

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee

I gave my campi cork screw to a good friend to hold for a while. We had a good pallea party and opened my stash including a few bottles of mouton Rothschild 1982. Seeing your post reminded me of that great afternoon.
Old February 25th, 2015, 09:11 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

The Campy corkscrew doesn't look so big when it's on top of the Yokozuna wine.