Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old December 31st, 2008, 06:02 PM
Douglas G. Gable

Care of new boots.

Got a pair of Blundstone 550's for christmas and want to take care of them properly. Wondering what products some of you might use for cleaning and conditioning, and also what techniques work best. I live in the Northeast, so they will be used in all kinds of weather and conditions. Thank you.

61 Series II 109 SW
95 RRC County LWB
06 Range Rover
98 Discovery LE

Old January 1st, 2009, 01:44 PM
KI4WWU

Hi and enjoy the Blundstones! I have the #500 model and love them. I maintain them, as I do all my leather boots and shoes, with Red Wing Boot Oil. It's mink oil, but thicker so it's longer lasting. Probably some additives in there that someone will argue ruins the leather, but for over 20 years now my Red Wing Pecos roper boots have been swathed in the stuff and they look and feel new.

Apply boot oil to a dark colored thick terry cloth wash cloth, about a Quarter sized blob, and work it into the leather. Put your hand down in the boot to hold it and start at the toe and work up and over the sides and back. Let them dry while you put on your favorite socks and rock on out the door in smooth style.

I think the key to longevity in any footwear is cleaning salts and mud and other crap off the leather as soon as possible. The Blunnies are hard working and I like the patina mine have developed over the last 4 years or so. They make great camp boots.

Enjoy, and Happy New Year!

Old January 1st, 2009, 02:08 PM
Chris Whybrew

When I clean my boots made with full grain leather such as yours, I use a mild soap (like a bar soap) and warm water. Then I will apply a light oil or waterproofing cream (though not really necessary for full grain leathers because full grain leather is generally waterproof) such as Nikwax. The leather should continue to secrete natural oils. If/when they dry up (assuming you still have your boots) then any good leather store will have quality oils that you can use.

Old January 1st, 2009, 05:40 PM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

X2 on Nikwax I have used it on my Blundstone for years. The soles have worn out before the leather every time.
Old January 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM
Douglas G. Gable

Thanks for the info. I'm going shopping with the wife and kids tomorrow, and I'll look for some Nikwax, and some saddle soap. Maybe some mink oil as well to cover all bases. These shoes are the most comfortable shoes I've ever walked in. I love them.

61 Series II 109 SW
95 RRC County LWB
06 Range Rover
98 Discovery LE

Old January 5th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Beowulf

I also really like Limmer Boot Grease. You have to order it from Limmer, but it will keep your boots nice for a lifetime. Other than that I use Mink Oil.