Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old January 9th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Chris Whybrew

Aiming bumper mounted fogs

I bought two Hella 500 fog lights to mount on the A frame brush bar. I have them mounted and working properly. My question is, how are the supposed to be properly aimed? Just behind the headlight beams (between the headlights and the front of the car), at the same point of the headlights, or ahead of the headlights? Unfortunately they aren't as bright as I thought they would be. So the only difference I see is peripherally.

Anyway, thanks in advance to your help.

Chris

Old January 10th, 2008, 10:37 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

The fogs project a very wide beam. If you shine one on a wall, you will see a weenie-shaped pattern that is short top to bottom and very wide, something like 120* spread.

I say just point the two lights straight head. Aim isn't critical on fogs.
Old January 10th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Chris Whybrew

Thanks John! I did notice that I get a thin strip of light (height) from a wide angle. The light seems to disappear in the headlights (doesn't make the road brighter) when they are on. But I can see the fog lights clearly on the sides. Thats why I asked.

Old January 12th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Stephen Dickerson
KI6IXA

I would think you'd want to aim the fogs below the low-beam headlights. Think about the purpose of fog lights... In a foggy situation the light from your headlights is being reflected back toward the vehicle preventing you from seeing further down the road. Aiming the fogs at a lower angle to bring the aim point closer to the vehicle should help (depending of course on how thick the fog). Not to be confused with aiming the fogs at the ground in a silly looking manner. I've been happy with a few degrees below level for my bumper-mounted 4000s.

Secondary benefit is being able to illuminate the trail closer to the vehicle while on a night trail run, just as more powerful (and different light pattern) driving or spot lights are good for illuminating out beyond your headlights.

I probably read all this a few years ago in one of the product discussions on this site, but I won't take the time to check

Old January 13th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Chris Whybrew

Thanks Stephen. That was very helpful as well. I guess I was expecting more from them than they produce. That is my ignorance. I did aim them just below the low beams for the same reason you mentioned. When I aimed them equal to the headlights the fog light beams dissappeared, meaning they were as bright or not as bright as the low beams. I had expected them to be brighter, my fault.