Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old July 6th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Driving Lights

Looking for something much like the lights found on the LR3 G4 trucks.

Our first thought was the Hella 4000 Compacts

But, you're really limited on your grill options. Even with the non-compact lights, the covers are ugly and would not fit the looks of the LR3

We also think that without a simple cover, the driving light on front of the LR3 would just look out of place.

So, the "cleanest" light we've been able to find is the Piaa 580 I was thinking you could trim out the PIAA logo and end up with a clean looking grill. But, with the 580's, you get that light with the blue tint to it.....which I think sucks.

It just blows me away that the Land Rover lights are selling for double what you would pay for a Hella 4000 http://www.roverconnection.com/LR3/lr3lamp.htm

Does anyone know of a better option?
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Stephen Dickerson
KI6IXA

Dan,

If you're looking for lights similar (or perhaps, exactly matching) to those on the G4s, why not just buy the Warns? Expensive, yes; but you get 2 lights in one. The switches are fugly, but functional.

Stephen

Old July 6th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Hearing some "not so good" things about the Warns. But, I will admit I've never seen them in person.
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

Dan, did you get an LR3?

Old July 6th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

No, Tami has been here the last few weeks, and she's been getting her "fix" by buying parts for her truck. She got the Superwinch EP9, and it's being married to a new bumper this weekend and part of next week. But, she wants some lights to finish it off.
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Do any of you guys have any experience with these lights? Good? Bad? Ok? Junk? http://www.4buy4.com/warn_sdb210dualbeam1.htm
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

oh well. I thought you'd be dumping the disco for the LR3. LOL

Old July 6th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Naaa, but the silver Disco may be going away and the drive-train may get swapped into the Black one. By living in a condo, I've only so many parking spots....and I need the room for a new DD.
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Stephen Dickerson
KI6IXA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
Do any of you guys have any experience with these lights? Good? Bad? Ok? Junk? http://www.4buy4.com/warn_sdb210dualbeam1.htm

I talked to someone in NC a few years ago who ran 2 sets of them on his D90 and really liked the lights. He was a big fan of the dual modes. He wasn't easy on his truck, either. I'll see if I can find any old pictures when I get home from work and post them.

The switch is the main aspect of those light kits that I didn't like, and hence went the standard Hella/LR-Genuine-switch route [EDIT: on my D1]. That dual mode switch just doesn't fit the decor very well. In the G4 D2's I believe the switches were mounted on the right side of the steering column; out of the way and unobtrusive. I haven't seen the interior of a G4 LR3 to know where the switches were mounted.

I have to admit, though, I like how they look on the G4 LR3s...

Old July 6th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

For the switch, I think I can wire up two of these. One for power, and one to switch between the two light options; Driving or Fog.

Or, I could use one switch to opt between the light functions, and wire into the hi-beam switch to turn the lights on or off.
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:36 PM
JamesWyatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
For the switch, I think I can wire up two of these. One for power, and one to switch between the two light options; Driving or Fog.
Or, I could use one switch to opt between the light functions, and wire into the hi-beam switch to turn the lights on or off.

Yes, I'm stalking you on two forums:

The guy who installed mine on the 04 had the same ideas, but when it came time to hook up the two dash switches, he found it wouldn't work. I can't remember why. I had him mount the Warn switch where it couldn't be directly seen. It was a pain to try to use them for highway driving, as you just can't keep reaching under the dash to turn them off and on every time a vehicle comes over the hill.

I can't vouch for the toughness of the lights as I didn't punish my G4 at all, but I did find that the spot beams were not very useful unless you only want to see way down a very long, straight road. The wide beam setting was perfect off road at night and much brighter than the Land Rover driving lights. The factory LR3 HIDs are brighter than the Factory driving lights.

I think that besides the factory driving lights, the Warns were the best looking choice for the LR3. If you're putting them on an ARB, you could use the larger 210s, as the ARB is one big bumper. I dunno. Tough choice. You just don't want them looking wimpy.
Old July 7th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

I think I can figure out the wiring.....not sure how we'll do it yet, though. It would work best with a 3-way switch if we can find one that's attractive.

I too think the Warn lights look the best on the LR3, for what ever reason. But, Tami is not hell bent on the Warns. If she was using the ARB bumper, I think the Warn 210's would be the light to have. But, the 210's may be too big for what she's doing. Still looking at other options.
Old July 7th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Rob Davison

Dan I think your homeboy steve sells the perfect pair of lights for the disco3

I don't know why but these lights sort of remind me of something, hmm........

Old July 7th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

LMAO! Oh no, say it ain't so, Rob.
Old July 13th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Got the bumper on, but still very undecided on the driving lights. Do you guys have any opinions? Kind of leaning towards the Warn 210's.

From the top of the bumper to the bottom of the top luver on the grill, it measures 8.75".

In reguards to the bumper, I think it needs a Hause fair lead and the Dixon Bates recovery points need to be colored black.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LR3 Bumper 003.jpg (61.5 KB, 37 views)
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Rob Davison

I don't see any room for lights without them getting in the way of those little round ones on the side of the headlights. Rounds are just going to make it look like a spider. if you had a light bar in the front I think the Hella compact would be nice.
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

I think it definatly needs a light bar of sorts. We were just photoshopping some ideas; trying to decide on a straight bar or something curved.....
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Rob Davison

something like the center of an ARB I think would look good, like a squared off A-bar
Old July 15th, 2007, 06:18 AM
anthony paris

hi,just an fyi...warn does not recomend those lights to be mounted on an A-BAR{like on the g4's}because they have slots on the bottom side for venting.should they be mounted "upside down"the slots would now be on top.should any water make its way through the slots...it would be trapped in the light.
there are things you can do to avoid the water issue but they would of course void the warrenty,so would mounting them on an A-BAR.
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:29 AM
brian...

Chapman lights

One solution would be to integrate the lights into the bumper although this would require a different set of lights, some fabbing, room behind the bumper, etc:

Another would be to stinger-like bar/A-bar:

Old July 17th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

We've been playing with it a little. I made a little light bar and moved the solonid pack from the winch.

Although she really like the PIAA 580 lights, she blue hew they permit is just discusthing. Next choice was the Warn lights, but she decided she did not like them, either. So, she's going with the Hella 4000 Compacts, and clear stone shields.....The regular 4000's would just be too big and she thought the Warns would look "clunkly".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LR3%20Bumper%20026.jpg (51.1 KB, 15 views)
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Rob Davison

i hate to go all crazy with lights but i really think those lights in the wings break up that huge area in the front i really like that, if you could find something smaller and factory looking, perhaps those small hella projector lamps.

also, the light bar is key nice photochop
Old July 17th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
i hate to go all crazy with lights but i really think those lights in the wings break up that huge area in the front i really like that, if you could find something smaller and factory looking, perhaps those small hella projector lamps.

also, the light bar is key nice photochop

Agreed. RTE has the factory fogs on the original set of plans. But, since she did nothave the fogs as an option, they did not cut the holes. They would look sweet in there, though.

Once she gets the lights, I think a Hawse fairlead would look better. Yet, I like how a roller works.....That will be up to her.
Old July 17th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Rob Davison

get some black delrin rollers made will tone it down.
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

I would recommend limiting the number of lights and using the best quality construction and reflector, combined with HID. Prior to my Arctic Ocean trip we spent hours researching light performance, the effect of light "color" (more accurately it's Kelvin Scale) on road detail and the effectiveness of the reflectors.

The two lights that I liked the best were the IPF HID and the Hella Micro DE HID. The IPF driving lamps were exceptional from a build quality and light performance/color perspective, and was what we eventually chose for the winter Arctic trip.

I have also been a fan of the Hella 4000, but have experienced housing integrity issues (loose rings, lost screws, etc.) and even a broken lens from rapid cooling during a river crossing. I have since learned that all of those issues can be addressed once we talked with Hella engineering. If you go the 4000 route, let me know if you want the details.

This would make a good combination IMHO:

2 of the Micro's in the fog configuration, mounted low and in the bumper

One each of a driving and spot. Mount the spot lamp on the drivers side aiming mid field of view. Mount the driving favoring the roads shoulder. With the light output of HID, this is an excellent configuration.

And a few light shots from the Arctic

Note the warm color of the IPF HID's. Some HID's are too cool on the Kelvin scale, affecting the eye's ability to perceive fine detail and shadow.

Hope this helps. I like the LR3 by the way!

Oh, and Viking Off-Road makes a very nice ultra-light aluminum caged, delrin roller fairlead. They are beautifully constructed, 1/3 the weight of the standard Warn roller and designed specifically for synthetic (which will further reduce the mass of the winch and the lever effect of all of that weight forward of the front axle). You can see the roller detail pretty well in this image. Thor, from Viking is a great guy too and a Rover owner.