Old September 19th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Rob Davison

Awesome report John, and congrats to Jens Voigt

Old September 19th, 2014, 09:56 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Bradley Wiggins sets sights on world hour record for June 2015:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...ur-record-2015

I hope he goes through with the attempt. Wiggins is very fast. On a pursuit bike with aerodynamic aids, I think he may be able to ride 53 to 54 km.

I'm not sure this part of the story is accurate:

Quote:
The record dates back to 1876 and once carried immense prestige because of the greats who had attacked it over the years, including Fausto Coppi, Jacques Anquetil, Eddy Merckx and Miguel Indurain. It fell out of favour after a UCI ruling in 2000 that limited aerodynamic aids to those available to Merckx, and which removed from the record books distances set by Chris Boardman, Indurain, Francesco Moser and Graeme Obree. The new rules on aerodynamics – permitting anything that is currently allowed on the track – open the way for a bid by big names such as Wiggins and Cancellara, who also has his eyes on it.

That may or may not be correct. I don't think it is. Voigt used an aero road helmet in his attempt yesterday:

Voigt used a steamlined helmet/shield in 2014 road time trials:

So I don't think he is against such devices if they're allowed.

I get the sinking feeling that the UCI still has special, one-of-a-kind equipment rules for the hour record. Rather than allowing any and all legal equipment, it seems to me the UCI has limited the current hour record attempts to road helmets or aero road helmets. While pursuit bikes are allowed, pursuit helmets are not. These helmets are from the 2012 Olympics:

I'm not positive, but I think Jens Voigt would have used a similar helmet/goggle arrangement if the rules allowed it. Such a headpiece would have been more slippery than his aero road helmet.

I understand that the UCI wants to preserve the purity of the hour record, but that purity has already been lost. You can't unring a bell. Furthermore, the UCI is doing things backward. Rather than allowing purely aerodynamic aids in other events and disallowing them in the hour record, the better way to handle things is to disallow purely aerodynamic aids in other events and allow any and all legal equipment in the hour record.

The UCI are idiots.
Old September 19th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Those funny hour-record bikes remind me of the guy in Aspen who buys up old racing bikes and turns them into Vintage Mixie Art Bikes. He had one of those time trial bikes with flat bars and a leather saddle bag and a bell.

Old September 20th, 2014, 09:35 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

That's pure.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 11:12 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

More pure:

That referee is awesome too. He's so short that Merckx' rear tire is uplifting the referee's Carnaby Street pants and his windsor knot is almost as big as his head.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 11:29 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

The ASO announced the 2015 Tour parcours:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/...-finale_350169

Time bonuses are coming back. Of special interest is another Hell of the North stage:

Quote:
After this year’s exciting fifth stage — in which defending champion Chris Froome (Sky) crashed out with a broken hand and wrist — won by Dutchman Lars Boom (Belkin), the cobbles return for a second successive year while the first part of the race pays homage to some of the greatest bike races in the world.... Another thing Prudhomme wants to see is riders battling for victory on a day of special significance, which is why the fifth stage from Arras to Amiens will pass through some of the most important battlefields of the Somme, continuing the World War I theme from this year’s course and aimed at resonating particularly with Australians, New Zealanders and Britons.

This is crazy. I'm all in favor of a Hell of the North stage now and again, but two years in a row? LOL.