Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 31st, 2005, 09:51 PM
Pilk

help!!! Radio problem

hey guys, this is my first post and I am begging for help....hopefully I can contribute in the future, but right now I need help with the radio in my 96 Discovery....

short of it: Previous owner = knucklehead.....didnt realize the stock radio was connected to a 6 CD changer, and removed the stock head unit and installed an aftermarket one with a cd player......

I got the stock unit with the truck, and am attempting re-install....I have the factory code, but cant seem to get the radio to accept it.....

I am stuck at this point, I have let the radio sit for the prescribed 1 hour with the power on.....no help.... the thing continues to say code on the display...?

thanks......

Pilk
Old April 1st, 2005, 09:37 AM
Scott Kirn

If it's anything like the Range Rover radios(which I think it is) each time you mis-input the code, the lockout time doubles. 15 minutes become 30, 30 becomes 60, 60 becomes 120, etc. I've had to let mine sit for an entire weekend once before it accepted the code. It might have been overkill, but I didn't know how many "mis-inputs" there were.

Also, are you sure you have the right code? I called the dealer with my VIN#, and they gave me a code...but it was the wrong one. I ended up pulling the radio and giving them the serial number. That produced a second code. I guess the radio was replaced at some point.
Old April 1st, 2005, 10:01 AM
Pilk

thanks for the input, I dont know about the cumulative effect on lockout, my manual says one hour and the lock out is reset, so I left the power on with my Disco sitting in the driveway running for one and a half hours.....no luck.

the code I have is the one on the original cards, and the serial numbers match what is on the radio.....I have contacted a dealer, and gotten the "we'll call you right back" run-around.

this is getting very frustrating......grrr.

if you have any other suggestions let 'em fly.....

my radio is not doing anything when I enter the code, should the numbers or something come up on the display?

The display just continues to say code..... until after 3 attempts of wrong buttons....then it flashes the word code, until it sits powered up for an hour.

I can enter the correct code as many times as I like and the word code doesnt start flashing.....but three attempts with wrong numbers illicits the flashing.

Just was thinking I am missing a step that is not in the manual?????
Old April 10th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Pilk

anyone have a suggestion???? I left the radio powered for 8 hours solid, testing the cumulative time theory, but no joy.......

One of you brainy mugs must know how to fix my dilema, short of me driving four and a half hours to the dealership.......
Old April 10th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Scott Kirn

I would contact John at Roverville Radio Repair & Exchange. I don't have his number handy, but do a Google search for him and you should turn up something. He apparently works wonders - will fix and recondition your radio for around $100. I know several people have used him before and swear by him. Very quick turnaround as well. Good luck.
Old April 14th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Pilk

Thanks skippy.......I preciate it.....