Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 11th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Roof Rack Rain Gutter Protection Idea

After installing a Rover Solutions roof rack on my RRC with the careful(?) assistance of my wife, I became concerned that the paint finish on my gutters would become damaged or scratched over time where the mounts and brackets attach. The gutters on the RRC are painted body color unlike some other Land Rover models.

I purchased and applied "Plastic Tool-Dip" (in black) to the bottom sections of rack mounts and to the mounting surface area of the brackets as well. This is the plastic stuff you can apply to handles of pliers and other tools, etc. for a better insulated grip. Since it is the same color as the black satin powdercoating it is virtually unnoticeable after being applied.

It seems to work well and gives me a little piece of mind that if I ever remove the rack I will have less likelihood of visible marks and scratching where the brackets attached to the gutters.
Old March 12th, 2005, 04:43 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Sweet.
Old March 13th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Scott Pelly

Rack mount protection

Another good trick I have used before is rubber fuel line. Slit it length wise, and sit it on the end of the clamp where it goes in the rain gutter. It's really durable stuff because it's internally re-enforced with nylon.
Old October 26th, 2005, 09:17 AM
79bigmack

close up picture of the finished product???
Old October 27th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I think it might be difficult for greg to take a pic for you at just this moment.
Old October 27th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Jack is correct-no camera right now.

However, I'm not sure you would notice any difference even with pics. After a couple weeks I actually took an Exacto knife and trimmed excess visible plastic off the outside of the clamps so that all you see is a straight line where the black powdercoated metal surface and the black plastic surfaces meet.

Initially the edge was wavy because of the uneven "dipping" of the parts. It showed up especially when dusty. That's why I trimmed them. I did not trim the inside surface that touches the rain gutter but kept the maximum surface possible covered with plastic.

I found I had to dip the clamps and brackets several times to build up enough "cushion".