Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 10th, 2014, 01:18 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

The Moltenis are definitely the most popular. Everyone wants a Molteni. The many movies and photos of Eddy Merckx in the Molteni kit made the Molteni more famous than the FAEMA and FIAT stuff. A Sunday in Hell, Stars and Watercarriers, The Impossible Hour, and La Course en Tete were all Molteni. Pics like this are also very famous:

I think there are a lot of parallels between Molteni and Camel Trophy. They were both golden eras. They both have ugly colors that you like for some odd reason. They both have cult status today, among both intelligent people and morons. They both have tons of "builds" or reproductions, both good and bad.

We'll see if I end up with a Molteni. Who knows.

One Eddy Merckx frame that I've always liked was the MX Leader:

From my way of looking at things, the MX Leader was the zenith of the steel bicycle frame. It was still brazed together with lugs but the tubes were shaped in a funky way. The fork was aero'd out. The seat tube and down tube got wider at the bottom bracket and the down tube got thinner where it joined the head tube. The chainstays were also funky looking in a sort of Colnago leaf way. Eddy Merckx offered it in all sorts of different paint schemes. This was a really neat frame.
Old May 10th, 2014, 03:21 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

Super Record 11 on this Vlaanderen MX Leader would be sweet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDDY-MERCKX-...item1e8b000dea
Old May 12th, 2014, 12:22 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old school retro cred steel is real FAEMA build:

What a fail.

He was going for this:

Old May 12th, 2014, 01:49 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I tore down my new bike on Saturday to clean it up:

It's about what I had expected. There was dirt galore and some rust inside the frame. But not too bad. One thing that surprised me was the SLX steerer:

This frame has SL tubing. I think it's the original fork. The numbers on the fork and frame match:

Most of the time spent cleaning up the frame was removing the Stevie Wonder touch-up paint. I hate it when people hack up something with touch-up paint. They glob the non-matching paint everywhere and the result looks way worse than the scratches and nicks.

The parts are in great shape:

These are in far better condition than the parts on my yellow bike. The bottom bracket and headset needed repacking badly, but no rust on the races or bearings. That's really remarkable for something that old. My EMX-5 already has a crunchy headset and it's only a few years old and I rode it in the rain only twice.
Old May 12th, 2014, 04:28 PM
César Gómez

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Most of the time spent cleaning up the frame was removing the Stevie Wonder touch-up paint. I hate it when people hack up something with touch-up paint. They glob the non-matching paint everywhere and the result looks way worse than the scratches and nicks.

Like this?

Old May 13th, 2014, 09:15 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I remember that one on the Rangie.

My 110 has a few of them as well.

You wonder what the competence level of these people is. Do they have trouble sewing a button?
Old May 31st, 2014, 09:35 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old July 5th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Chris von C was in town over Independence Day. He and his family make a trip this way every year and pop in for a few days. This year we planned to attend a grilling competition together for fun. We headed out to Harrisonburg, VA, together to see what we could do. Chris 2.0 drove.

We took my Whiskey Wagon. The Whiskey Wagon was built about a year ago for a special event and I've been having fun with it ever since. It was perfect for the grilling competition. It has a small vertical smoker on it and larger charcoal grill.

CVC had the kids in tow as well, so we put them to work.

We quickly wore them out.

On the menu we had ribeye steak, chicken, and pork ribs. We also participated in a People Choice where we made and served our version of ABT's. What sucks is we did not get very many food shots. We were so busy watching the kids and the local talent we did not have a lot of time to focus on pictures. But we captured a few.

It was a good day. We ended up with a 1st place finish in ribs, 2nd place in steak, and 2nd place in chicken.

Even better we were named the 2014 Grand Champions for having the highest combined score and got a check.

The evening was capped off with a fireworks show.

Old July 16th, 2014, 09:00 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Tour food.

Breakfast:

Snacks for the road:

Lunch bags:

Those rice cakes aren't normal Quaker rice cakes. These are calorie bombs:

Dinner:

And lots of calorie-rich snacks in between. Even with all that, they can't eat enough and lose about 10 to 15 lbs. during the Tour.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 02:11 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Cannondale's kitchen:

You wouldn't know it from the name, but Cannondale Pro Cycling is an Italian squad. While other teams are moving away from pasta to things like rice (white people love to claim to be allergic to stuff like gluten), Cannondale is sticking with pasta:

I'm with Cannondale on this one. I'm Korean. I like rice. But I like pasta more. I'm not allergic to gluten. I don't even know what a gluten is.

Peep the Cannondale ham:

That's awesome.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:29 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I was searching for Tour food (what the teams eat) and came across this really fun series that parallels the Tour stops and local foods and wines:

There are a bunch of other episodes on YouTube as well, and they're all good.
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

The Tour may be over, but I can't get enough of Taste Le Tour. It's such a fun show, with a wonderful wonderful mix of food, wine, tourism, the Tour, and accordion music. I wonder if SBS Australia still has Taste Le Tour as part of its annual Tour coverage. I hope so.

This playlist has nine episodes:

The genial Gabriel Gate cracks me up. He reminds me of Lumiere:

Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM
John Lee
K6YJ