Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Trips / Events / Reports
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old July 28th, 2014, 10:21 AM
wsixhan
W6HAN

Congrats John... The EE Board has seen some crazy purchases in the past but I think this one ranks pretty high on the list.
Old July 28th, 2014, 11:35 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

The Campy tool kit is weird that way. It feels so special that it feels more valuable than one might think.

I paid $2500 for this tool kit. That's the price of a scope. You and I both own many scopes that cost that much. But they don't feel as special.

Campagnolo: When Technology Becomes Emotion. It's really true.
Old July 28th, 2014, 11:45 AM
wsixhan
W6HAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
The Campy tool kit is weird that way. It feels so special that it feels more valuable than one might think.

I paid $2500 for this tool kit. That's the price of a scope. You and I both own many scopes that cost that much. But they don't feel as special.

Campagnolo: When Technology Becomes Emotion. It's really true.

quite true and sometime it's not how much something costs... but $2500 is pretty good! you scored big time.
Old July 28th, 2014, 01:04 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

The German riders at this year's Tour:

There are only nine of them, yet they scored seven stage wins. Jens Voigt on the far right has raced the Tour 17 times and retires this year.

Quote:
What the present brought, though, was one record as Kittel’s fourth stage win took the total won by German riders in this Tour to a new high of seven.

Tony Martin added two, including Saturday’s time trial, and Andre Greipel also won a sprint finish on stage 6.

Kittel said that those results sent a message to German public television, which pulled out of live coverage of the 2007 Tour due to doping scandals — including that of 1997 German Tour winner Jan Ullrich — and have not changed their stance since.

“I think that’s a big signal to all fans at home in Germany and a big signal to the media, without going into too many details,” said Kittel.

We'll see if this year's results by the Germans will bring back live Tour coverage to Germany.
Old July 28th, 2014, 02:03 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

The women got a piece of the Champs-Elysee yesterday in a one-day event called La Course:

I'm not sure, but La Course feels like an exhibition race put on by the ASO to see if there is any corporate and fan interest in resurrecting the Tour Feminin. The Tour organizers had a Tour Feminin in the 1980s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6yzy8r7xcM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ergwsAZ9CCs

The Tour Feminin fizzled away due to lack of interest by both fans and corporate sponsors. The Tour is a business and has to make money, so I can't blame the ASO. The same is true for the television and other media channels. They have to make money.

The talent pool in women's cycling isn't nearly as deep as that of men's cycling, so women's cycling isn't that exciting to watch. Riders like Maria Canins, Jeanie Longo, and Marianne Vos dominate too much. Also, maybe cycling is one of those sports where people just prefer to watch men doing it.

I'm split on resurrecting the Tour Feminin. On the one hand, it would be sweet to have a women's Tour de France again. On the other hand, I don't want there to be a Tour Feminin if it's some charity case or affirmative action race.
Old August 10th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanchung
Congrats John... The EE Board has seen some crazy purchases in the past but I think this one ranks pretty high on the list.

I'm predicting John will indulge in a Faema E61 sometime...I'm waiting to see if he goes with the "original" Legend:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Faema-E61-Le...item43aeb68e66

or the automatic Jubile':

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Faema-E61-Ju...item43aeb68e53
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 606_001.jpg (177.0 KB, 2 views)
Old August 11th, 2014, 12:21 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

The FAEMA is awesome, but I think it's just too bad ass for me. It has to be piped and all. It feels a little excessive to my humble coffee needs.

Besides, I'm saving up for a Ferrari.