Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old August 15th, 2005, 09:58 AM
David Druck

Parts Availability?

I'm weighing the pro's and con's of expedition wheeling with two different types of vehicles. Mid to late 90's Discovery and the 93-97 Solid Axle Toyota Land Cruiser. FLAME SUIT ON: Im leaning towards the Land Cruiser.

The thing that most concerns me is.. breaking down in the Discovery and not having readily available parts nearby. What happens when i need a water pump or a belt? I have yet to find a local parts store that carries them without special ordering them, and... they're twice the price.

Can you guys shed some light on this subject? I'm really excited to get into Expedition type wheeling... and would like know how you guys handle breaking down out there with these rigs.

thanks in advance,

David
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:05 AM
David Druck

Anyone? Bueler?
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:21 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

If you have to ask, then I say go with the Cruiser.
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

In short... I'll agree with John.

I think that most of us here (at least those that I have wheeled with) don't plan on sourcing parts while out wheeling. That's not to say that the possibility of trailside repairs is never required.

Vehicle preperation should be taken seriously and trailside repair preperation (tools and parts) even more seriously. I have never seen a Toyota dealership, Land Rover dealership, NAPA auto parts or Auto Zone out on any of the trails I've been on so I don't think matters what make you have. I am not trying to be an ass, but if you think your water pump is on it's way out then you should replaced it before your trip. If you know that your (insert make model here) has a weakness... you should be prepared for it (parts and tools) before you leave.
Old August 17th, 2005, 11:34 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Well, I wouldn't go that far.

My point was that if you have to ask between a Cruiser and a Disco, you obviously don't feel the Land Rover magic and you'll be happier in the end with a Cruiser (the more sensible and reliable vehicle).
Old August 17th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

You gotta feel the LR hl
Old August 17th, 2005, 12:16 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Definitely. And if you don't feel the love, why get a Rover? It's sort of like the K-80 thing. It's not for everybody. If you don't feel the K-80 love, get the sensible Beretta. It's just as good and in many ways better than the K-80.
Old August 17th, 2005, 12:41 PM
ryanspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
If you don't feel the K-80 love, get the sensible Beretta.

Does that mean the K-80 is unsensible??
And I was just starting to feel the love....

As far as the Rover vs Cruiser question, that's like asking me to pick my favorite child... Use both!
Old August 17th, 2005, 12:57 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Well, the K-80 really doesn't shoot any better than the 682, and yet it costs three times as much. But which would you rather have, a 682 or a K-80?

I always hear about how capable the Rubicon is. It has factory lockers, blah, blah, blah. But when I see a Rubicon on the street I don't feel anything. Most of the time when I notice a Rubicon on the street, the driver is checking out my Defender. The only reason I look is because I can feel his stare coming my way.
Old August 17th, 2005, 01:17 PM
ryanspeed

That's not really fair comparing a Cruiser or 682 to a Rubicon...
Old August 17th, 2005, 01:25 PM
David Druck

Well i don't have a "LOVE" for either at this point.... and i don't "FEEL" anything. I dig all offroad rigs, whether its rally, desert trucks, rock buggies, expedition rigs etc.. (i'd love to have a old 110). Thats why i'm researching both before i buy without any type of prejudged way of think towards one or the other. I like both. Plain and simple. I don't know anyone that has either of these vehicles, so i thought i'd post here and with the toy guys on another board. Ive always been a JEEP guy. Now i know that there will be biased people in both cases.... but there are people with open minds that can share their experience whether good or bad.

Of course there isnt a part store close by in most cases.. and yes you always prepare properly before leaving for any trip.. but thats wasn't my question. My question is.. what do you do IF?????
Old August 17th, 2005, 01:53 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

If I'm in a pinch, I call up my friend at the LR dealer and have him UPS Next Day Air me the part I need. I can count on my friend at the dealership because he knows me and I know him. He knows me because I've done business with him lots of times before and he knows me and knows my truck. I also know him and know he'll send me the correct part because he's always been reliable in the past and never let me down.

Whether you're buying a Cruiser or Disco, I don't think it really matters as the BFE Autozone really isn't going to have the parts you need anyway. Again, it won't really matter which of the two trucks you get, in terms of parts availability. It's a wash.

That's why it comes down to which of the two vehicles you like better. And if you have to ask, you don't feel the love for a Rover so I say go with the Toyota as it's the more sensible vehicle of the two.

Besides, the SOCALFJ (fka SOCALXJ) is a tiny little hint that only Sherlock Holmes could pick up that you like FJ's. So get the FJ.
Old August 17th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Larry

Your question has been answered the best that it can be answered. You are going to have a parts availibilty issue. Preventative maintenance will be key if you plan on owning a Land Rover and knowing what tools and parts will be needed on the trip.
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Skyler Neibaur
KE7ZYL

I know this is probably late, but if you are worried about parts availability or trail maintenance. In the back of the owners manual, at least mine, there is a list of LR dealerships nationwide. If you are out on the trail and have a problem that you are unable to fix with the equipment you have with you, and your home dealership is closed or it isn't the closest to your current location. You can usually find a dealership that is open to send you parts or help diagnose your problem. With camera phones now you can take a simple photo to make sure they are sending the right part. Hawaii and Alaska service departments might be able to give you some helpful advice when it is late.