Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old July 29th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Justin B. Huntsman
N5JBH

Genuine Land Rover Studs – available for a 03 DII?

Anyone know if genuine Land Rover wheel studs are available (individually) for a 2003 DII? According to Land Rover parts, the studs are not available individually and can only be had if I purchase the entire hub flange.

I ask because I have a trailer with billet wheel adapters (so I can run the same wheel/tire combo as I have on the Discovery). But the local tire shop cross-threaded a wheel nut which snapped a stud during removal. I should be able to press the broken stud out and press a new stud in, if I can locate one.

Any ideas?

Best,
Justin
Old July 30th, 2006, 02:25 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Justin, I just checked Microcat (the Land Rover parts catalog) and it appears your dealer is correct about the studs not being available separately.

Even worse, I don't see the hub flange being available separately. The smallest collection of parts I see is the hub kit complete with wheel sensor.

And congrats once again on the KE7IME action. Well done.
Old July 30th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Justin B. Huntsman
N5JBH

Thanks John; both for checking on the parts and for the kind words re my HAM license.

Any idea if these wheel studs were available separately for a prior year Discovery (I assume they all accept the same nuts)? I know the studs have to be available in some fashion—or my trailer hubs could never have been built to begin with.

I’d ask the guy who built the trailer where he sourced the studs from, but he’s on an annual summer hiatus at the moment.

Justin
Old July 30th, 2006, 06:17 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I don't know the thread size on the Disco2 wheel studs, but it's bound to be some standard size. For example, the D90 wheel studs are M16 thread. I'm guessing D2 is around M14 or thereabouts. I've never bothered to measure.
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:07 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Justin,
You may check with Will Tillery at 434-251-9331. He has a small Rover salvage yard on the East Coast and I'm sure he can get this part for you at a reasonable price.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:00 AM
Zach Carter

See if your local dealer has a used hub and ask him to press one of the studs out of it.

Zach