Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old April 25th, 2004, 07:40 PM
cwdavis4

Connector box location for Han's Cobra CB install?

Hi John, I don't suppose you have a write-up on how you installed the Cobra CB to go along with the CB Antenna write-up?

I am getting ready to install a CB (Cobra 75 WX ST) and wondering where you placed the connector box. The box appears to be relatively small and wondering if I should place under the driver seat or maybe at the passenger feet on the fire wall.

Also, what wires did you tie into for power? I was thinking an accessory 12 volt source that will turn off the CB when the Disco is turned off. I thought about a constant 12 volt source but afraid if I forgot to turn the CB off, it will drain the car battery.

Thank you for any advice.
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:42 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

There is no one "right" location for the control box on the Cobra 75, but my favorite location is under the driver's seat. I like having the box hidden under the seat and the mic's coiled wire emanating between the driver's seat and the center console. That way, the CB can be put away between the driver's seat and the center console when not in use. That way, you don't have a CB mic showing. It's a stealthier set-up I think.

For wiring the CB, you can tap into a myriad of different wires below the driver's seat. There are tons of them down there. Some wires are always hot if you want that for your CB. Some other wires for the seat controls are hot when the ignition is on or the door is open. This latter option might be suitable for you if you don't want to leave the CB on accidentally. You can have the CB on without a key simply by opening the door. I prefer the simpler set-up of tapping the CB into an always-hot wire.
Old April 26th, 2004, 11:10 PM
cwdavis4

Thanks John. After considering the various power configurations (always-on, when door is open, or when ignition is on), I agree the always-on is probably the best way to go. I would hate to ever have a need to use the CB and I donít have a key or donít want the door to be open (say in the rain).

Now I have to figure out how you all routed the antenna wire thru the interior of the Disco up to the driverís seat.
Old April 26th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

that part is easy.

Run the coax from the rear cargo door along the carpet to the center console.

It is surprisingly easy.

And yes, constant power +12 is very simple and not as much as a drain on your battery as you might think.
Old April 27th, 2004, 08:24 AM
curtis

I would suggest making a fresh hot wire run to the hot side of the fuse block. Just route the wire under the carpet and through the plug in the firewall. Make sure this wire is fused according to what your CB needs.

The problem with tapping into existing wires is twofold. First, you run the possibility of going past the fused limit of the tapped wire at times. Second, and more likely, you run the possibility of ignition hum or other noise coming off the line. Almost all radios work best from a clean power source.
Old April 27th, 2004, 08:55 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally posted by curtis
The problem with tapping into existing wires is twofold. First, you run the possibility of going past the fused limit of the tapped wire at times. Second, and more likely, you run the possibility of ignition hum or other noise coming off the line. Almost all radios work best from a clean power source.

Good to know.
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:49 AM
curtis

John - I think a thing of beauty would be to use your Audiopipe battery terminals and hot wire those to a terminal block under a seat. You could then have an interior tap for all kinds of goodies and power outlets.
Old April 27th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

If, and only if, you are really worried about leaving the radio on and draining the battery. Run your lead from the battery (or hot side of the fuse block) through a relay. You can trigger the relay from an ignition sensitive power supply.

Yes a bit more complicated (John hates this), but if it calms your dead battery fears, might be worth while.
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:14 PM
cwdavis4

So my plan is to go with a hot wire from the engine fuse block. Are there any extra unused fuses that I can tap into? What about the ACE fuse? I don't have ACE.
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:17 AM
curtis

Clay - If you are "hot wiring" you will not be going to a particular fuse. Either go to the positive cable to the fuse block or straight to the battery, EE's Audiopipe would work well, or of you have few accessories just go to the existing terminal on the positive side of the battery.
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:05 AM
cwdavis4

Sorry for some basic wiring questions. You can probably tell I'm new to this.

Isn't it dangerous to run a fused wire? You know in case the wired frayed somehow Ė then you have a live wire that could start a fire. This is why I was thinking about running a wire of off the engine fuse block. The other option would be to do some sort of in-line fuse.
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:10 AM
curtis

Fused wire=wire with a fuse=inline fuse. Its all the same thing.

But yes - you want your fuse as close to the power source as practical.
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:21 AM
cwdavis4

Oops - typo on my part. I meant to say an un-fused wire.

When you say run a wire from the "positive cable to the fuse block or straight to the battery" isn't the wire un-fused?
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

Clay, I powered my CB directly to the battery. I put an inline fuse at the battery end of the wire.

Any power connector that is attached directly to the battery should be fused in the event of an inadvertent short at the CB end of the +12V power cord.
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:15 PM
curtis

There is a positive lead that essentially goes to the positive side of the fuse block. Whether you attach to the battery or there you will need to put in an inline fuse. The advantage of going to the lead to the fuse block is that you avoid clutter around the battery.