Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 16th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Mister Owl

Question questions pertaining to bears and the ARB/Engels fridge...

Gentlemen, I thought this might be a good first forum in which to ask this question. Last weekend I was in an area with a known "problem bear" and it got me to thinking. I know that in some national and state parks there are advisories and restrictions regarding ice chests since some of the bears are smarter than average and have learned to recognize the chests and associate them with food. Does anyone know if bears have come to view the ARBs as an ice chest more or less? Afterall, it is about the same size and shape. Or if I am in an area without a resident Yogi or two, should I be concerned about food odors escaping the ARB? Does one use the bear lockers for or hang their perishables overnight? My thinking is that as more people begin using these portable refrigerators it's going to become a factor. Thanks in advance for any input you may have to offer.

Hootie*yeah it's silly, but I've been using this handle and signature style for years*Whooo...

*edited cuz I hate typos*
Old June 16th, 2007, 08:06 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

I'm going to guess that because the arb/engel do not have a vacum seal the will allow odors to escape; therefore, having one locked in your truck may in turn cause a bear to feel the need to investigate. Bears have a very acute sense of smell and I doubt have any problem knowing there is food inside. The food lockers and hanging containers are good because a bear can't get to them, easy enough for a bear to smash your window and rip the door to your truck off in order to get a snack.

Like I said this is a guess, I could be wrong about the fridge thing.
Old June 17th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Mister Owl

Thank you sir, that was pretty much my thinking. I guess it would be prudent for anyone exploring in bear country to keep such in mind. That is go light on the perishables that need constant refrigeration and stick with things that can survive outside storage overnight. Of course that leaves more room for chilled potables. Always a positive thing wouldn't you agree?

I will admit that I was hoping to hear someone's horror story about cowering in their rooftop tent as a bear ripped into the back of their Disco. Then devouring its' way through the Engels and Pelican cases containing food. Let's hope that doesn't happen to anyone.

Hootie*stay safe all*Whooo...
Old June 19th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

I have a little bear story, although it has nothing to do with ARB fridges or Rovers.

Yosemite during the summer is a three ring circus, on the weekends you may as well be on the 405 as you loop around the valley. Thus a plan was born to see Yosemite from a different perspective, the northern rim.

We started high off the Tuolumne Road and headed south through towering ponderosa pines. When the trees gave way to giant slabs of granite, the icon of the valley Half Dome, stood gathering the fading afternoon light. My traveling partner, Steve Casimiro, and I decided to forgo a campfire and camp atop North Dome, less than a mile across a 2,000 foot gorge to Half Dome.

We quickly started preparing a meal on the summit of North Dome, catching the last traces of golden light disappear from the valley. As we ate we wandered slowly south on the massive granite bubble to catch a view of the valley in twilight. Before long we had roamed quite a ways from camp and it was getting rather dark. I decided to turn back, leaving Steve on a rocky ledge to enjoy some solitude.

I clicked on my headlamp and slowly traced my steps back up to the summit, in that daze people find themselves in after a long day on the trail in a beautiful place. As I approached the small boulders that marked our camp, I froze in my tracks as the light from my headlamp reflected back two sets of glowing eyes. One set was quite a bit bigger than the other, I instantly thought a sow and her cub, the worst possible thing to run into. In our daze we hadn't kept a very clean camp.

I turned off my light and slowly backed away. I was surprised at how dark it was, and how scared I had become. I turned around and saw Steve's headlamp off in the distance. I made my dash, as soon as Steve saw headlamp high tailing it towards him, he quickly turns his light source off.

When I finally reached him the first word out of his mouth was, "Bear". "How did you know?", I asked. He quickly said that he had never seen me run in the 7 years of traveling together. Now, I must add this bit of information, anyone that has spent any time with me, knows about my running policy. Which is; I only run if I am being chased.

We approached camp after about twenty minutes banging on our titanium bowls with rocks. Much to our relief there were no bears nearby and our camp was left undisturbed. Those glowing eyes were burned in my memory and I couldn't sleep. I decided the law didn't govern protecting myself from a bear and started a small fire within the 1/4 mile of the valley, no fire zone. I spent a restless night feeding small twigs to this fire huddled in my bivy, looking around at the smallest sound.

In the morning as we packed up and started heading out, Steve stopped and asked, so where do you think those bears were. After looking around and taking an educated guess, I said, "Right about here." We both looked down in a patch of decomposed granite hoping to find bear tracks, only to start hysterically laughing. The only tracks to be found were some set of deer hooves, not even big ones.

Lft: North dome is the dome most left in this pic from Glacier Point. Rt: This is the view from North Dome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43444626_96371df6ea.jpg (74.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 499028796_8e3e5b7357.jpg (67.6 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by montanablur : June 19th, 2007 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Had my domes all wrong...
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Rob Davison

I cant even imagine you running LOL. This policy is unspoken yet completely understood.
Old June 20th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Daniel Long

Half Dome again and also my wallpaper.

From here: Gigapxl
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

I love the hike from Tuolumne Meadows to Half Dome. The High Sierras are magical. Especially after some rain.

Gabrielle and I ran into a bear hiking in Kings Canyon NF...

We were snacking and hiking and chit chatting when we saw something move in the bushes. I casually looked over assuming it to be a deer. At the same instant we both realized it was a bear about 90-100 feet up the trail, right on the side of the trail. Of course the first thing I did was close the ziplock bag with my snacks so the bear wouldn't smell them... like that was going to change anything...

We waved... and shouted... and made noise... the bear doesn't move. Gabrielle says to me: "I thought the bear was supposed to run away when you made noise." Indeed. So as the three of us are just standing there, looking at each other, I decide that a photo is in order. And sure enough, as soon as the camera came out... poof... the bear was gone! So I have a nice picture of a shrubbery!